The TV series:
- Archive Binge: At 370 pages, it's enough to take up a couple hours.
- Complete Monster: Alan Stone, in flashbacks, is revealed to have subjected zoo animals to hideous experiments, already giving him quite a few negative points. After beating the tar out of a sympathetic character and kicking him and the main character out into the dangerous, zombie-ridden city, he finds out his wife has been working on a cure for zombiism by testing it on a monkey she adored, so he tears out the electrodes to its brain. Then he injects himself with the "cure", turning into a literal monster. Then he injects his pregnant wife with it, turning her into a zombie. After all that, heinjects the remaining zoo animals with it to build an army of the undead.
- Crazy Awesome: Ed. Also, The Protomen. And the comic as a whole.
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: Two are Panther's Fury, where the real Panther takes out his clone with one blow, and the Spinning Bear Driver.
- Crowning Moment of Funny: Aside from the aforementioned He-Man reference, there's the 'good plan' exchange.
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: It's hard not to feel happy when Nick and Marty find the motorcycles.
- Tito reuniting with the zombified Lydia.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Leevon the...robot thing. His Catch Phrase made him a fan favorite.
- Foe Yay: Possibly, between Doug Fetterman and Panther.
- Growing the Beard: Book 2 not only has noticeably better art, but a more focused, centralized plot. A case can also be made for about halfway through Book 1 as things become more character-driven.
- Nightmare Fuel: The 'nocturnal activities' scene is this, but special mention goes to Kilroy's unmasking.
- Near the end of Book 1, everyone but Nick is drowning to death.
- Moral Event Horizon: Alan crosses this when he injects his pregnant wife, Lydia, with the zombie serum. If that wasn't enough, he injects the zoo animals with it to build an army, and then zombifies William.
- Tear Jerker: Several deaths fall into this. If you're an animal lover, you may be tempted to cry with Nick when he sees the zoo animals.