YMMV: David Fincher
- Award Snub: Many fans are still bitter about the total absence of Se7en and Fight Club from the Academy Awards, as well as The Social Network's loss of Best Director and Best Film to The King's Speech.
- Cult Classic: Several of his films, most famously Fight Club.
- Magnum Opus: Has several contenders. The Social Network is his most lauded film, in terms of awards (and appeared on more Top 10 lists than any other in 2010), Zodiac (Which David has implied is his personal choice) was similarly acclaimed by critics, and Fight Club and Se7en both have great resonance in pop culture.
- Tough Act to Follow: Fight Club had a mixed critical reaction and did poorly at the box office, but nevertheless had such an impact that it overshadowed much of Fincher's later work. He seems to have finally escaped this as of The Social Network, with its multiple Oscar nominations and very enthusiastic critical reception.
- True Art Is Angsty: While not as extreme as some others, the characters in his movies tend to suffer, a lot. And, with one exception, all of his movies are very esteemed by critics.
- Vindicated by History: Se7en and Fight Club both received mixed reactions from critics at the time of their release. Today, both are widely considered to be among the best films of The '90s.
- Fight Club was a failure at the box office, but became extremely successful on home video.