YMMV: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
- Adaptation Displacement: Started out as the fourth book in a pentology Wuxia novel series, written by Wang Dulu.
- Broken Base: Wuxia fans were quite divided on it. Some thought it was excellent, while others thought it paled in comparison to other films in the genre.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: Asian audiences mostly found it overrated and not outstanding in terms of wuxia stories. Western audiences loved it to death.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: A governor's willful daughter meets a charming, goofy rogue with long hair, almost modern fashion sense, has a habit of singing, and swordplay is involved... didn't they do this story a few years later?
- It's Popular, Now It Sucks: Go on the Internet and you will find many wuxia fans who don't consider this a "real" wuxia movie, and say that it only became popular because it was made specifically for American audiences and not the more wuxia-friendly China.
- Memetic Mutation: "Crouching X, Hidden Y".
- Star-Making Role: For Zhang Ziyi.
- Too Cool to Live: Li Mubai.