YMMV: Crime and Punishment
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Is Raskolnikov a Knight Templar, or a Villain Protagonist who uses sophistry to justify murder?
- Draco in Leather Pants / Do Not Do This Cool Thing: Despite portraying rebellious youth in a very negative light, Crime and Punishment was popular among radical student groups that adopted Raskolnikov as their role model.
- Magnificent Bastard: Arkady Svidrigailov.
- Seinfeld Is Unfunny: Rodya is a college dropout with mental issues, who thinks saving his sister from sexual abuse gives him an excuse to kill someone. Yes, I just described 50% of all Cold Case episodes.
- Tearjerker: Raskolnikov's dream about a poor old mare getting beaten to death. Which is also mad Squicky.
- The Woobie: The prostitute Sonya, who was forced into it by her family. Raskolnikov and (arguably) Semyon Zakharovich Marmeladov are of the jerkass variety.