- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: In 2009, there was a week-long arc that appeared to show Ed in the future living in a nursing home. He is hooked up to oxygen and barely conscious throughout the whole thing, and his nurse takes him to a Mudhens baseball game. Then the strip went back to normal without comment. Finally, in late 2010, a storyline ran where Ed and a one of his old baseball buddies went to visit their former teammate "Beanball" Bushka... who lives in a nursing home, is hooked up to oxygen, and looks exactly like a 90-year-old Ed Cranshaft.
- Crosses the Line Twice: Last year, there was a mild controversy based on a strip that had Crankshaft telling his girlfriend she was too old to worry about sexual assault.
- Fridge Logic: That a ball player as good as Crankshaft was supposed to be would only get one shot at impressing big league scouts.
- Moral Event Horizon: A September 2013 plot arc has Crankshaft get even surlier than usual because a new co-worker is challenging his reign of smug, curmudgeonly idiot incompetence; his response is try to 'scare' her into leaving him be the festering asshole using his hard life as an excuse to be the antisocial clod he was born to be....by trying to run her over with his school bus.
- Narm: Bushka Sr is bragging - fifty years later - about how he screwed Crankshaft out his shot at the big leagues. Readers were supposed to see him as a villain, but he came across as a sad old man whose personal Moment of Awesome was a petty act of For the Evulz.