- Big-Lipped Alligator Moment: Sanka turning up at the door of the hotel room wearing a maid's hat and brandishing a feather duster.
Yul: Whatever's wrong with you... is no small thing.
- Cliché Storm: But charmingly so.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: The scene where Derice and Sanka surprise Irv Blitzer, leaving Blitzer clutching his chest in exasperation. Doesn't seem funny anymore, knowing that John Candy (who played Blitzer) died from a heart attack just five months after the film's release.
- Would've been especially painful for any family renting the newly-released movie on home video, as typical release schedules of the time would place the video release date right around the time of Candy's unexpected death.
- He Really Can Act: Despite the Fake Nationality of his character, Leon proves he can play a harmless, but aspiring lead character rather than just a Scary Black Man thug he had played in action movies Band of the Hand and Cliffhanger.
- Older Than They Think: Several tropical countries, not just Jamaica, competed in bobsled in 1988, where they created an informal "Caribbean Cup". Mexico competed in bobsled in 1928, the second Winter Olympics, so the phenomenon is Older Than Television.
- Tear Jerker: The film carries some surprisingly powerful moments for what is, by and large, a Ragtag Bunch of Misfits comedy, but none more devastating than the final race, where the old bobsled finally breaks halfway through, turns them upside-down in a heap, and ruins their big moment. The crew getting up and slowly carrying their sled to the finish turns this into a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming.