- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: Sanka turning up at the door of the hotel room wearing a maid's hat and brandishing a feather duster.
Yul: Whatever's wrong with you... is no small thing.
- Cliché Storm: But charmingly so.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: There's a scene where Irv Blitzer clutches his chest in exasperation. John Candy died from a heart attack five months after the film's release.
- He Really Can Act: Despite the Fake Nationality of his character, Leon proves he can play a harmless, but aspiring lead character rather than just a Scary Black Man thug he had played in action movies Band of the Hand and Cliffhanger.
- Older Than They Think: Several tropical countries, not just Jamaica, competed in bobsled in 1988, where they created an informal "Caribbean Cup". Mexico competed in bobsled in 1928, the second Winter Olympics, so the phenomenon is Older Than Television.