YMMV: Confused Matthew
- Audience-Alienating Premise: Considering the entire show is about panning movies the majority of people find good, what do you expect?
- Bile Fascination: This is probably why people keep watching him regardless of what they think of him, because they just have to know what he's going to say next.
- Broken Base:
- Matthew's explosively negative reaction to Guardians of the Galaxy was met with confusion and backlash from his fans, a few of whom accused Matthew of hating Guardians simply because it was a Marvel picture.
- His review of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. We'll just leave it at that. Suffice it to say, the fan reaction wasn't pretty.
- He Panned It, Now He Sucks: Oh dear... due to Matthew's entire premise when it comes to reviewing is to look at movies he considers bad despite getting good reviews, (Hence the "confused" part of his reviewing name, because he's confused as to why this film was well-received.) this turns up a lot. Some of the biggest examples of this include his negative reviews of The Lion King, The Incredibles, Back to the Future Part II, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and almost every film of the Marvel Cinematic Universenote .
- Never Live It Down: For the most part, this seems to be the main reason he hates the Marvel Cinematic Universe. For starters, he disliked Iron Man 2 due to setting up threads for The Avengers, and so now he seems to despise the fact that the MCU share concepts and supporting figures such as S.H.I.E.L.D., and the tendency to give Continuity Nod to other films, even if the Continuity Nods in question are competitively minor acknowledgement. Even though the other films have handled it much better, he seems to act like every Continuity Nod is just as badly handled as Iron Man 2's.
- Opinion Myopia: Most prominent in his earlier reviews, he's gotten better at locking this away lately.
- The Scrappy: If the reviews are any indication, Matthew is this trope. We won't say anything further