- Crosses the Line Twice: A meta example: Jeff Anderson was uncomfortable filming the scene in which Randall reads off a list of increasingly vulgar porno films to his distributor in front of a mother and her child (notice how all the shots of him reading the list are in close up) and asked Kevin Smith to maybe remove one or two of the worst ones. Smith responded by taking the list and adding three more titles!!!
- Ear Worm: "My love for you is like a truck, Berserker!"
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Jay and Silent Bob.
- And to a lesser extent, the little girl who buys the cigarettes.
- The customer who asks "In a row?" when Dante finds out about his girlfriend's sexual history.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: The part where Veronica and (especially) Dante berate each other over their sex lives was played for laughs in this movie. However, in Chasing Amy, Holden has a similar reaction to Alyssa when he finds out about her previous sexual experiences, which was played entirely for drama and is why their relationship ultimately didn't work out. And that was in turn based off of Kevin Smith and Joey Lauren Adams' relationship.
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- Fellatio doesn't count as sex, eh?
- On the commentary featured on the DVD, the director says that the Soul Asylum video on the DVD is the closest thing to a sequel that the film would ever get.
- Meta: Jeff Anderson refused to read the list of porno titles in front of the mother and child, so the scene was shot in close up with Reaction Shots added. Judd Apatow, considered to be Kevin Smith's Spiritual Successor, has since done numerous movies where characters shamelessly curse in front of children.
- Randall's monologue on the destruction of the second Death Star in Return of the Jedi included the statement that storm troopers don't know jack about installing toilet mains. Then The Force Awakens gives us Fin, a storm trooper who worked on Starkiller Base (the Spiritual Successor to the Death Star) in sanitation. This means there might be at least one storm trooper who knows how to install a toilet main after all.
- Ho Yay: Randal towards Dante.
Randal: Oh, hey Caitlin? Break his heart again this time, and I'll kill you... Nothing personal.Caitlin: You're very protective of him, Randal. You always have been.Randal: Territoriality. He was mine first.
- Hype Backlash: Has appeared on several "Most Overrated Films" lists.
- Jerkass Woobie: Dante.
- Narm: A lot of the acting is pretty bad.
- Though due to the film being made for only $30,000 (the soundtrack cost more than the film). Smith had to use one actor for four roles, plus some weren't professional actors (including Smith) themselves, so this was bound to happen, though the film is mostly Narm Charm in a way.
- Nightmare Fuel: Before the film proper even starts.
- One-Scene Wonder: Silent Bob.
"You know, there's a million fine-looking women in the world, dude. But they don't all bring you lasagna at work. Most of 'em just cheat on you."
- Squick: Caitlyn's "encounter" in the Quick Stop's bathroom.
- They Just Didn't Care: The people doing the photo shoot for the poster didn't include Jay and rushed the shoot without thinking twice about whether or not he should be there.
- Also every single poster for the film seems to imply that all five characters featured on the posters are "clerks", when only two actually are.
- Miramax didn't want Jay on the poster, they thought he was "weird looking" (they had the same problem with Universal when making Mallrats and they wanted to replace Jay with a "real" actor), which is funny considering he would go on to be the lead in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and many, many people find Jay very attractive.
- Wangst: Lampshaded. Dante does this all the time, to the point where Caitlin comes to visit him specifically because she knows he's probably spent the whole day agonizing over the wedding announcement. It eventually reaches levels that cause even Randall to snap.
Dante: And you know what the real tragedy of all this is? I'm not even supposed to be here today!Randall: OH, FUCK YOU, MAN! FUCK YOU! [...] "I'm not even supposed to be here today", you sound like an asshole!