- Alternate Character Interpretation: Did Rosemarie intentionally rat out to Louis about Cecilia, Claudine and Auguste? Or did she just blab it out without really thinking? To be fair, no matter what you believe, there was no way she could've known that Louis would flip the fuck out in the horrible way that he did.
- Jerkass Woobie: Louis. He has severe problems, but it does NOT justify his jerk-assery and murderous streak
- Moe: Maura. Her relationship with Claudine is pure Squee.
- Moral Event Horizon: Louis's murder of his sister and his former lover.
- Strangled by the Red String: Claudine and Sirene's relationship doesn't get much development, despite how she seems to accept his transsexuality without much trouble and their bond being portrayed as the deepest, most meaningful romance of Claudine's life. Part of the reason Claudine and Rosemarie are a Fan-Preferred Couple is that she gets more Character Development than any of Claudine's love interests.
- Tear Jerker: The whole damn thing.
- Values Resonance: Claudine...! takes place in early 20th century France and was published in 1970s Japan, but the pain Claudine suffers due to being a trans person is still very relevant. In addition, the manga's treatment of Claudine's Transsexuality is much more frank, sympathetic and respectful than the treatment of Transsexual characters in most modern manga and anime (where they're often portrayed as gay people cranked Up to Eleven or used solely for comic relief). Basically, Claudine doesn't go through what's already described, and neither is shown as a Purity Stu or Magical Queer of sorts — but he's shown as a human person with both flaws and strengths, and who deserves basic respect no matter what.
- The Woobie: Claudine, and how.
- Other characters too, like Maura, Rosemarie, and others.