- Alas, Poor Scrappy: Ellen's death.
- Also toyed with when the death of Nathan's daughter was probably one of the few rare times the audience felt any sympathy for him.
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: Tends to happen in the more recent series, from 2007-2008 onwards.
- Bizarro Episode: Almost once a series this happens.
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: Downplayed a little. Patrick, after his and Lara's moment gets killed again.
Max: Lara, I need you. (she leaves).Patrick: You're not the only one, Max.
- Ear Worm: Woe betide you if you live in Britain and you can't hum the Theme Tune.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Charlie Fairhead, who went from playing hockey in the corridors to becoming, by Word of God, the show's most important character.
- Big Mac.
- Kath◊, a blonde nurse, whose Fandom is surprising considering she's an incidental character, only ever referenced by name, but not given any plotlines.
- The blonde woman (played by an extra) who always appears in scenes alongside Ruth, Jay, Yuki and May. Not given a name, but sometimes referred to as "Claire". Rarely speaks. Also considered Fanservice by some. "Claire" mainly appears in scenes where Ruth and Jay are present.
- A blonde nurse with slight purplish tones in her hair who is an extra. (Appears a lot more in recent episodes)
- Kojo, a dark-skinned nurse. He's particularly liked by the ladies...
- From the older episodes, Oscar the porter, who had a huge fandom.
- More recently, Jill, a nurse who has no speaking part, but for some reason, a proper fandom.
- Staff Nurse Waters / Ramona, a blonde-haired nurse who has never got a speaking part, let alone a plotline.
- Genius Bonus: In one episode, a dispatch with a Scottish accent sends Nikki and Comfort to St. Aloysius' Church. St. Aloysius College is a well-known Catholic independent school in Glasgow.
- Les Yay: Selena and Maggie.
- Nightmare Fuel
- One of Us: Nathan:
"Lots of very respectable people are trekkies."
- Reverse Funny Aneurysm: Charlie and Baz's Ross-and-Rachel like relationship is compounded by having Baz briefly date a posh bloke called Charles for one episode. Charlie suggesting that they be "friends who sleep together sometimes" could also be likenened to the episode where Monica and Richard try to be friends.
- Sending Stuff To Save The Show: Slightly subverted, rather more a case of Fandom to get incidental characters into full-time characters.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks: The Re Tool seems to have resulted in this in the opinion of some fans. You only have to look at the ratings to see that it's not what it was.
- What an Idiot: Guppy snorting some heroin he stole from a patient because he thought it was cocaine.