- Complete Monster: Lilith "Lily" Sullivan is a demon in the form of a little girl. With the ability to force people to hallucinate their worst fear, Lily sadistically murders those around her for her own amusement. Tricking social worker Emily Jenkins into taking her under her custody, ostensibly to escape her Abusive Parents, Lily takes the opportunity to continue her reign of terror. She manipulates a boy named Diego into killing his parents, and murders her psychiatrist, Douglas. She then targets her incarcerated parents, making her mother hallucinate that she is being burned alive and causing her father to get stabbed in the eye. When a detective catches on to Lily's involvement in the deaths, she tricks him into shooting himself. After Emily makes a failed attempt to kill her, Lily forces her to hallucinate a childhood memory of her mother driving fast in a rainstorm. Upon her defeat, Lily attempts to drag Emily with her to her death.
- Jerkass Woobie: Lilith's parents, when we learn what Lilith really is.
Emily: Open the door.Driver: [points to "Bus not in service" sign]Emily: Oh PLEASE open the door! OPEN THE DOOR SHE'S COOOOMMMMINGG!!!Driver: There's NOBODY out there!
- Nightmare Fuel: The scene where Lily's parents attempt to burn her to death in the oven. That is, before we know her true nature. Even worse when it's later thrown back on it's head when Lillith's mother is forced to imagine herself burning in that same oven all day, every single day.
- Nightmare Retardant: It's hard to take Lilith seriously when her demands are so childish (ice-cream everyday, amongst other things).
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: The way the trailer put forward the movie (that a demon was after Lilith, and her parents planned to sacrifice her in order to save themselves) would have actually been a welcome change from the cookie-cutter "evil child" horror film.
- The Woobie: Lilith, at least until we learn what really went on in her home.
- Too Dumb to Live: Emily genuinely loved Lilith and saw her as an innocent child before she started murdering people close to her. Lilith could have easily got away with it if she had just killed random people Emily didn't know, thus avoiding suspicions.