- Broken Base: Being a M.U.G.E.N project it's par for the course, but one major point of scorn by detractors is the Super-Deformed sprite style similar to Super Robot Wars and Namco × Capcom.
- Counterpart Comparison: Apparent in the character completion/Vs. trailers and with the characters currently in development.
- Link and Cloud: Both are blonde, sword-wielding heroes from very famous entries in their respective franchises, and from their console generation in general. The two of them were also the first characters revealed.
- KOS-MOS and X: Both of them are robots with humanoid features, and have an entire arsenal of weapons at their disposal. This could also be a subtle nod to Namco × Capcom, based on their respective developers.
- Crono and Soma: Crono brings his allies from Chrono Trigger. Soma brings his souls from Aria/Dawn of Sorrow. Each of them is loaded with Assist Characters as a result.
- Master Chief and Samus: He's a Space Marine, she's a Bounty Hunter. Both of them are clad in Powered Armor and weapons that they've used to annihilate alien invaders in first-person (Samus against the Space Pirates, Master Chief against the Covenant). On top of that, their arsenals also include energy weapons and explosives. Also a likely reference to Haloid.
- Lenneth and Walküre: Both are sword-slinging female warriors from games that have Valkyrie in their title. The also have similar physical features, such as long braids, white skirts, and feathered helms.
- Ivy and Etna: Both of them have some connection to dark forces, Etna being a demon, and Ivy tainted by Soul Edge. Their outfits are also very VERY similar. Also a contrast, as Etna is rather flat-chested, and Ivy... isn't.
- Holy Shit Quotient: Expect it to go through the roof whenever the game has a major update.
- Narm: The current version of Ivy's idle stance has copious levels of jiggle present, despite her complete lack of any Genki Girl-related traits that would normally accompany such a lively idle stance. It's worth noting that in her home franchise, she has a more stationary pose fitting of her character, making her animation here even more bizarre.
- Visual Effects of Awesome: The Game, presented by Arhuon and Orkimedes.
- What Could Have Been: Mai Shiranui and King Dedede were originally slated to be playable characters. See "Demoted to Extra" in the main article for more information.