YMMV: Captain Mar-Vell
- Harsher in Hindsight: The incident of Captain Mar-Vell closing off a leaking container of nerve gas seemed to have been resolved satisfactorily when a friend arrived to administer the antidote, but it turned out later that the gas was carcinogenic which result in incurable cancer that later killed him. So Mar-Vell was essentially killed then, but with a delayed reaction.
- Ho Yay: Phyla-Vell and Moondragon. Also Moondragon and Rick Jones' wife Marlo.
- I Am Not Shazam: Before the New 52 was set into place, a lot of confusion between DC's Captain Marvel and Marvel's Captain Marvel permeated discussions about the characters. Of course, once the Trope Namer had his name officially changed to Shazam in the Continuity Reboot, Marvel gained exclusive rights to the title.
- My Real Daddy: Jim Starlin for Mar-Vell and Peter David for Genis-Vell.
- Romantic Plot Tumor: The Una/Mar-Vell/Carol Danvers love triangle was... awkward to say the least, even by Silver Age standards.
- Tear Jerker: The Death Of Captain Marvel, full stop.