- Big-Lipped Alligator Moment: Laurie's shower scene with blood spattering out of the drain seems only a way to pigeonhole a Shower Scene into the film. The Chuds are not shown to be capable of backing up a drain, and the subplot is never brought back up to connect it to the main storyline.
- Cult Classic
- Memetic Mutation: The term 'CHUD' is usually assigned to any kind of sewer-dweller.
Marge Simpson: Oh, Homer, of course you'll have a bad impression of New York if you only focus on the pimps and the CHUDs.
- Retroactive Recognition:
- The two male leads, George and AJ, are played by John Heard and Daniel Stern, respectively, who are perhaps best known for their appearances in the much-beloved holiday comedy Home Alone.
- A young John Goodman and character actor Jay Thomas show up in small parts as the cops at the diner.
- Jon Polito, the newscaster, would later become a Coen Brothers regular.
- Special Effect Failure: Mostly averted. The CHUD creatures themselves are sufficiently creepy and monstrous, and only one encounter between one of the leads and one of the creatures takes place. The effects do, however, possibly look a little ropey when the creature pursuing George's wife starts to extend its neck like a giraffe.