- Alternative Character Interpretation: The Cruel Twist Ending can be interpreted two ways:
- Dan never did rescue Mark White and only told Paul that he did to give him some hope.
- Dan did rescue Mark White, and the insurgents are entirely capable of reaching Paul's family.
- Nightmare Fuel: Especially if you're claustrophobic.
- Paranoia Fuel
- Tear Jerker: Paul calling his mother only for the viewer to realize that she has Alzheimers and barely remembers who her own son is. It's just downright cruel.
- So is him finally talking to his wife and hearing his rescue
- Woobie: It's difficult not to feel really bad for Paul, given that we spend the entire movie watching him panic, suffer and eventually die.