- Anvilicious: With a character like Brand, there is no way around this one. He, and as a consequence Ibsen himself, dropped his anvils so hard they still echo across space and time, and makes this play somewhat hard to swallow.
- Everyone Is Jesus in Purgatory: This play is, quite obviously, interpreted to death many times.
- Family-Unfriendly Aesop: "Give away the goods of your dead loved ones instead of clinging to them when someone needs them more than you, even if it breaks your heart."
- Fridge Brilliance: Brand in the fifth act, having a soliloqui on the subject of pollution, among other things. He goes in detail on the "black british coal dust" embracing the country. And some hundred-odd years later, the problems of acid rain came to Norway as a dire consequence of british coal burning.
Glare upon me through the gloom !Britain s smoke-cloud sinks corrodingOn the land in noisome fume ;Smirches all its tender bloom,All its gracious verdure dashes,Sweeping low with breath of bane,Stealing sunlight from the plain,Showering down like rain of ashesOn the city of God s doom.
- The entire soliloquy is a brilliant example of nightmare fuel.
- Marty Stu: Memetic mutation and/or bad casting or acting can probably make Brand a legal Marty Stu. That`s what 150 years of popular culture can do to guys like him, folks.
- Moment of Awesome: The second act, when Brand braves a troubled sea all by himself, only to see Agnes jump aboard to help him. His task is to bring salvation and peace to a dying man who had killed his children out of bare need. And as the storm had washed the road away, nobody dared until Brand took the helm. This is also the moment when the community decides that he is the priest they need.
- The crowd scene in the fifth act, where Brand is literally carried away by the parish people, and has convinced them all of his cause. As a result, the officials are at a veritable breaking point.
- Tear Jerker: The entire fourth act qualifies, on behalf of Agnes and her agonizing loss.
- True Art Is Angsty: In this case.