* AwardSnub: The film went relatively unnoticed outside of commendations for Creator/BurtReynolds (ironic, given how much Burt disliked working on the film), Creator/JulianneMoore, and the Screenplay. Many now cite Moore's loss for Best Supporting Actress as an unfortunate Academy decision.
** Perhaps even more mind-boggling is the film not getting nominations for Best Director or Cinematography, or a Best Picture slot.
* SugarWiki/AwesomeMusic: Several, but Rahad Jackson getting high to "Sister Christian" and "Jesse's Girl" is by far the best.
* BestKnownForTheFanservice: Even amongst the copious nudity in the movie, Creator/HeatherGraham's nude scene and Creator/MarkWahlberg's fake wang stand out. Both induced a lot of sucking noises in theatres.
* EarWorm: "You Got the Touch". Unfortunately.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Reed Rothchild, who's basically [[Series/TimAndEricAwesomeShowGreatJob Dr. Steve]] [[Series/CheckItOutWithDrSteveBrule Brule]] if he worked in the porn industry.
* [[HeyItsThatSound Hey, It's That Song!]]: Dirk Diggler, getting his singing career going, sings "The Touch". [[WesternAnimation/TheTransformersTheMovie Yes, THAT "The Touch".]]
** Creator/ThomasJane running around with a gun, blasting everything in sight. [[Film/ThePunisher2004 Sound familiar?]]
*** And then getting blown away by [[Creator/AlfredMolina Doc]] [[Film/Spiderman2 Ock]].
** The above-mentioned song performed by Creator/MarkWahlberg, now that he's [[Film/TransformersAgeOfExtinction the human lead in a Transformers film]].
* JerkassWoobie: All the main characters spend a little time being this, but Little Bill is probably the prime example. It helps that he's played by Creator/WilliamHMacy.
** Eventually, Little Bill becomes WoobieDestroyerOfWorlds.
** For that matter, the dude who got badly beaten up by Rollergirl. Would be an AssholeVictim had the beatdown not been so disproportionately brutal.
* OneSceneWonder: Creator/AlfredMolina as Rahad Jackson, though [[WordOfGod Anderson said]] [[WhatCouldHaveBeen he intended for the part to be larger]].
* PainfulRhyme: Reed's poetry. Also counts as StylisticSuck.
-->''"I love you, you love me. Going down the sugar tree. We'll go down the sugar tree, and see lots of bees: playing, playing. But the bees won't sting, because you love me."''
* ValuesDissonance: This being the 1970s Los Angeles porn scene, attitudes towards sex and gender are in several ways quite different to the modern standard.
** On the [[FairForItsDay other hand]], the porn crew's lax attitude towards sexuality comes off as more relatable today than the more [[MoralGuardians conservative]] standards of the time period.
* TheWoobie: Scotty J.