- A Boy and His X: A young man and his Hand Cannon.
- Designated Hero: While he certainly comes off as this, it's debatable whether Killy really is one, especially since we see so little of his thinking. In a charitable interpretation, he is the only person seriously trying to make the setting a better place.
- Doing It for the Art: Nihei says as much in an interview.
The first editor from the publisher was a Sci-fi maniac and we were getting along well. My debut was BLAME!, which is a maniac sci-fi for niche fans. We had no interest in sales.
- Epileptic Trees and Wild Mass Guessing: Hoo boy...
- Evil Is Sexy: Ivy, Maeve, Sanakan
- Foe Yay: Between Dhomochevsky and Pcell. Maybe...
- Germans Love Blame!: More so than any other country, it seems. There is even an electronica band inspired by the series.
- Padding: Given that it's a Walk the Earth story with a rather simplistic plot, this is to be expected.
- The Woobie: Killy is an Iron Woobie and a Stoic Woobie wrapped into one unstoppable being.