- Jerkass Woobie: Chazz. He's crude and not very nice at first, but he apparently has been without any family for all of his life. A deleted scene shows that he also happened to be at the same orphanage Jimmy was at, but was ignored for adoption in favor of Jimmy. He points out that a cute kid like Jimmy could easily have found a home, but that was pretty much his only chance to have any sort of a family.
- Nightmare Fuel: The consequences of doing the Iron Lotus wrong.
- Special Effects Failure: If you had some hope that Ferrell and Heder actually trained to skate, the first green screen shot or bad CGI rendering of them on the ice will show you otherwise.
- Squick: Jimmy eating trash to get the key Fairchild placed in the bin so they wouldn't show up for the finals.
- Chazz uses special horse-placenta shampoo; this is available in Real Life and apparently it really is great for hair.
- The Woobie: Katie, who loses her parents in a car accident at a young age (and was in the car with them, no less) and then grows up to be a virtual slave for her unscrupulous siblings.
- Jimmy fits as well. His adopted dad only took him in for his potential in figure skating, subjecting him to all sorts of questionable training methods. The instant Jimmy is banned from skating competitions, his dad disowns and abandons him. Ouch.