YMMV: Blade of the Immortal
- Arc Fatigue: Like most long-running manga, it varies depending on who you ask. The most popular choice seems to be the Prison Arc.
- Awesome Art: Easily some of the greatest art in the industry, with dynamic panels, unique designs for every character (mostly), and great storytelling.
- Complete Monster: Shira is truly a despicable, sadistic, psychotic, crazy Serial Killer and Serial Rapist. He murders a Hooker with a Heart of Gold who was just in the business to pay for her mother's medicine, because he enjoys cutting up women and making their muscles seize up during sex. After that, he savagely, gleefully tortures an assassin with his saw-edged sword and severs the leg of the unarmed woman that led him and Rin to the trap. After losing both of his hands to Manji, Shira is saved by his employer, who asks if he's chosen a new set of hands yet; he raped a hooker (to death) and young boy (who provides his new pair of hands) all night long in his cell. Later on, he mutilates and brutally cuts a woman to pieces, gags her with her own dismembered hand, impales her through the breasts, and rapes her to death, while eating parts of her corpse. After finding Rin, he strips her of everything but an open shirt, tied huge rocks to her feet and left her tied to a dock, half submerged in water during winter. It's exceptional how well Shira can execute numerous baits of actually appearing sincere. His heartfelt speech to Rin aims to drive in how he killed and ate her dog. Helping Renzo seek revenge is aiming to force Renzo to be a sex toy for Shira's abusive benefit. Truly emotional pleading of Renzo to call off his revenge ends with a spiteful "never listen to men like me!" which thus end up putting the latter in even worse a state than before.
- Creepy Awesome: Despite everything wrong with Shira (see Complete Monster above), his various psychological problems only serve to make him an even better villain. Plus, since he's the only character in the series with truly black morality in an otherwise gray cast, his appearances do a lot to spice things up.
- Designated Hero: Manji. He's almost always played sympathetically despite being known throughout Japan as "the guy who murdered 100 people". Even by the end of the series, he still hasn't become any more of a good guy.
Renzo:" Shira is dead. He died all alone. And he was eaten by wild dogs...Torn to pieces! A really terrible death. That's probably the way it should be. A man like him wouldn't [deserve to] die like a human. But what's with this guy? How many people has he killed?! He's a big criminal too! Why do you all care so much about him?"
- This fact is even lampshaded by Renzo when he attempts to assassinate Manji after Shira's death.
- Draco in Leather Pants: Anotsu Kagehisa has this in spades. There's been continuous hinting at a relationship between him and Rin.
- Evil Is Cool: Shira is easily the most villainous character in the entire series. Unsurprisingly, he's also one of the cast's top Badasses.
- Foe Yay: Sweet Jesus, where do we begin? With the amount of sexual tension running in between camps, it seems probable that the main cast will just engage in some giant orgy as soon as kill each other..
- Magnum Opus: Blade of the Immortal is Samura's debut work, and by far his longest and most ambitious project. He's done other short series since then and none of them have come close to matching Blade's popularity and acclaim.
- Nightmare Fuel: Lots and lots, but a special mention goes to the entire latter half of the Prison Arc.
- Tear Jerker: Dewanosuke's sub-plot is one of the most saddening moments in the entire series.
- The Woobie: Makie, who is an unbelievably tragic figure whose life has been nothing but suffering, pain and isolation. The man she loves values her more for her skill than for her as a person, her relationship with her family was dysfunctional at best and she has no purpose in life that she can name. All she can do is resign herself to her own lonely corner of the world and live quietly, troubling and being troubled by none.
- Also, as mentioned above, Dewanosuke.