YMMV: Black Sails
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Brought up by Silver in regards to Eleanor Guthrie in episode 6. Were her actions, killing Vane's remaining crew, motivated by a desire to protect/save/avenge Max, or to show that "No one fucks with Eleanor Guthrie?" Both?
- Complete Monster: Ned Low, captain of The Fancy, outdoes any other pirate in series for evil and cruelty. In the opening scenes of Season 2, Low waylays a ship called The Good Fortune that peacefully surrenders, but upon finding a valuable hostage on the ship, Low has the crew massacred and personally shoots the captain dead as the man pleads he has a family. Low sets up shop at Nassau and tries to intimidate the head of business Eleanor Guthrie with a speech of how his crew knows Low is a monster. He later fantasizes about raping Eleanor to within an inch of her life. When his quartermaster, Meeks, tries to ally with Eleanor, Low tortures and beheads him in full view of Eleanor's entire bar, then kills her bodyguard when the man tries to make him leave. Low makes clear he will eventually come for Eleanor and confesses he is a man driven solely by cruelty and instinct that he often surrenders to. As he himself says: "When they see me slaughter the crew of The Good Fortune. When they see me cut out a man's tongue for lying. When they see me burn a boy alive in front of his father. There's no lie there. There's no remorse. I simply don't have it in me."
- Crowning Music of Awesome: As expected of Bear McCreary. Exhibit A: The Main Theme.
- Les Yay: Eleanor and Max's relationship was a heavy marketing point; though they do seem to have a genuine relationship so far, not simply made for Fanservice.
- Moral Event Horizon: Vane giving Max to his crew for them to rape at their leisure.
- Flint strangling Gates to death.
- Narm: Rackham's four-lensed sunglasses.