YMMV: Battle of the Planets
- Gateway Series
- Macekre: This series is an early example of edited to hell and back anime in the States.
- The Scrappy: 7-Zark-7 bashing is popular even among fans of BOTP.
- Andreas Tomak, an original character from the Top Cow series, is not particularly liked either due to being a flat character who only serves to belittle G-Force and butt heads with Anderson. The fact he also took away paneltime from Zoltar was also criticized by fans.
- So Bad, It's Good: More lenient opinions on the adaptation (including those nostalgic for it) amount to this. While the voice acting and music are generally lauded, the ham-fisted attempts to explain away death, dated slang, and some other corny scripting choices haven't aged too well but provide some unintentional humor. Especially with the sexual innuendo that scriptwriters would sneak in at points (but most of the time with Zark and Susan).
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks: Some opinions of the Top Cow series amount to this, as Munier Sharieff employed a darker tone in the BOTP canon in an attempt to make it more like Gatchaman. Jason's personality is one of the most decried points, with Sharieff depicting him as promiscuous, disrespectful to his teammates, and more of a violent loose cannon, with his overall attitude coming off as a Character Exaggeration of the original Joe Asakura.
- There were also fans that took the presence of "Joe Asakura" as one of Jason's aliases as a Take That to the original Gatchaman, or as an unnecessary reference and confusing in its attempt to merge the two series' canons.