- Complete Monster: Tenzen Yakushiji, the Number Two of the Iga Clan and the true Big Bad, absolutely leaps heads and shoulders over any of his fellow ninja for sadism, cruelty, greed and monstrosity. Secretly a centuries old former Koga himself, Tenzen has nothing but loathing for the Koga and little use for his own Clan. When Princess Oboro seals away her mystic eyes, Tenzen attempts to rape her before being stopped by a Koga attack. Engaging the Koga ninja, Gyobu Kasumi, Tenzen hears how Gyobu's father was murdered by Iga and in their duel, tricks Gyobu into striking at a child, forcing the boy's father to take a fatal blow, solely so the child's pain rattles Gyobu enough for Tenzen to win. Tenzen sadistically toys with other ninja and abandons his loyal student Koshiro because Koshiro had objected to his actions with Oboro. When Tenzen captures the beautiful Koga shinobi, Kagero, because her powers make raping her impossible, he brutally tortures her by impaling her with needles, before attempting to rape Oboro with intent of forcing her to dispel Kagero's powers to force himself on her as well. When he faces off with the young Koga leader Gennosuke, Tenzen reveals his intent to destroy all in his path, end the war victoriously and force Oboro to be his bride while he rules Japan from the shadows through the young shogun.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: Hime murasaki, the ED that is played in plot-critical episodes like the ending.
- Moe: Iga-no-Oboro
- What an Idiot: Kagerou would have stood a bigger chance to escape from Tenzen and the Igas, or at least would've averted being tortured to almost insanity by Tenzen... had she NOT suddenly decided to stop in her way to freedom to try kill Oboro in her sleep.
- The Woobie: While Oboro is tailor-made for this trope, she's not the only one. We have:
- Iron Woobie: Gennosuke, Okoi, Koushirou.
- Jerk Ass Woobie: Hotarubi is totally crazy and VERY violent while fighting, but her last scene was totally heartbreaking. So much that not even the guy who kills her can deny her a last flash of happiness before she kicks it.
- Stoic Woobie: Arguably, Hyouma and anime!Gyoubu.