YMMV: Ayashi no Ceres
- Awesome Music: The opening (Scarlet) and the second ending (Cross my heart).
- Complete Monster: The Ancestor. He's already treated as the cause of the entire problem of Ceres being reborn into the Mikage family, in order to get revenge on the family that not only came about because the ancestor forced her to bear his children, but also because he stole and hid the hagoromo from her. When he gets an active role, possessing Aki and intent on getting his wife back and not caring that she's reborn into Aki's twin sister's body, he's also gone so far as to mock Toya for his fake memories, force Aya to submit to his demands and even tries to rape her and is the one who shot Toya to death. Even when it's revealed that the Ancestor was actually an okay guy, but he went insane when Ceres gave him part of her power and even killed one of his own children, all because he was afraid of losing Ceres, whom he actually loved a lot, it's difficult to see the revelations as a good thing, he's done too many things that made him appear just as abusive and disgusting as Ceres has portrayed him as.
- Creator's Pet: Toya. Confessed by Watase, although it's not like she ever hides this kind of things. However, Toya deserves a special mention because he's still her favorite pet ever, even to this day.
- Fan-Preferred Couple: Many people consider Yuuhi to be a better match for Aya than Tooya, though she actually does sort of end up with him. Not on-screen, but considering Tooya is dying already and he asks Yuuhi to protect her once he does... Other fans thought that Yuuhi's attempts at romancing Aya could've used a lot less Attempted Rape.
- Fanon Discontinuity: The novel mini-sequels. Specially Yuuhi hooking up with Chidori's clone.
- Iron Woobie: Aya eventually becomes this. Big time.
- Magnum Opus: Apart from Fushigi Yuugi it has no real contenders for the title of Yuu Watase's magnum opus, and if we're counting pure storytelling skill and drawing proficiency then it beats Fushigi Yuugi as well.
- Narm: In the anime, the scene where Tooya is tortured to almost death via being repeatedly gunned down by Aki possessed by the Ancestor is so ridiculously dragged-out that it becomes a borderline Overly Long Gag.
- Nightmare Fuel/Squick: Volume 10 is just filled with it, with an attempted gang-rape on Aya, to featuring a woman who was hideously deformed by the hagoromo, escalating to the Progenitor-possessed Aki trying to have his way with Ceres - who is in the body of his twin sister.
Progenitor: "The more you struggle, the more I want you."
- Strangled by the Red String: Aya and Toya's relationship comes across as this because they've had such little interaction until Aya is taken to his apartment and suddenly declares that she loves him. Somewhat justified by the fact that he's an evolved life form made out of a divine energy ball and was basically wired to serve and protect her family, hence the instant love can be seen as an application of this instinct. The fact that his dad was an old hermit didn't help his relationship skills.
- WTH, Costuming Department?: The Celestial Maidens' true form when they are fused with their Mana. In-universe the characters react like they look alien, but godly beautiful. The reader... might disagree...
- The Woobie: Yuuhi. Just about the nicest guy around and he can cook, but no matter what he does, he can't win Aya over. Oh, and then, to make matters worse, Chidori dies in his arms after Taking the Bullet for him.