* TheButlerDidIt: Did you even notice that [[spoiler:Hawk]] is ''in'' the trope image? Not exactly the biggest name in the DCU.
* ExecutiveMeddling: Fans quickly guessed that Captain Atom was Monarch, with enough of them doing so early on that DC rewrote the finale to change it to Hawk.
* HarsherInHindsight: In the first Superman future, we see Superman become a KnightTemplar after losing all of his loved ones to a nuclear bomb, with Batman being the primary one opposing him. Flash forward [[VideoGame/InjusticeGodsAmongUs twenty-two years later]]...
** The declaration of 2001 [[UsefulNotes/TheWarOnTerror being a bad year]]. That's all.
* ShockingSwerve: The reveal of Monarch's identity didn't make sense, as Hawk was of only average intelligence, had no tech savvy, and was dedicated to chaos over order, all in violation of Monarch's personality. This is because it was changed at the eleventh hour after the story's ending was leaked. Even worse, ever since then DC has tried to do damage control by ''also'' cramming the original plan in, until no one cares anymore who Monarch actually is.
** Hawk is also specifically one of the few heroes with a future where he survives to fight Monarch in hand-to-hand combat in 2001.
* TechnologyMarchesOn: Accounted for — Matthew Ryder, before becoming Waverider, deliberately uses obsolete technology from the late 20th century incompatible with that of 2001, to prevent Monarch's minions from finding his plans if discovered. TruthInTelevision, since by 2001, computers and peripherals that could read 3.5" diskettes were already rare.