- Awesome Ego: The most gloriously hammy and Shakespearian of all the X-Men villains. It's rare indeed for a story featuring the character to go by without him -rightly- bragging about his awesome power or invincibility, or references to notions like triumph or eternity in relation to himself.
- Complete Monster:
- Magnificent Bastard: He has successfully brainwashed numerous heroes into doing his bidding, including Angel, Wolverine and even the normally uncontrollable Incredible Hulk. He is so smart and powerful and has such advanced technology that he was able to take Loki prisoner, has defeated Dracula in battle (and before that, when Dracula was slain in battle back when he was a mortal, it was Apocalypse who defeated and killed him), and has canonically taken over the planet multiple times in numerous parallel universes. Apocalypse has cheated death on numerous occasions, turned entire nations against themselves and each other, and has received the worship of humans, mutants and even a faction of the alien Skrulls. He has outfought and outwitted aliens, immortals, vampires and gods, defied the time-travelling warlord Kang The Conqueror who had travelled back to ancient Egypt to recruit him in his youth, and once came perilously close to stealing the power of twelve of the most powerful mutants on the planet which would have made him The Omnipotent. He is one of the most rightly hated and rightly dreaded enemies of the X-Men and many other groups of heroes and villains, and he is not remotely intimidated as nobody has ever been able to permanently kill him.
- Memetic Loser: Apocalypse has been considered this in some circles due to how many times he gets beaten by weaker mutants such as Magneto, being manipulated by the Celestials and his reliance on their tech, and his relative unimportance in the grand scheme of things compared to other villains like Doctor Doom, Thanos or Ultron. In the House of M continuity, he even cowers before Black Bolt and gets vaporized by a whisper from him. Thanos, in comparison, takes a full-on scream from Black Bolt in Infinity and only gets his armor destroyed and a couple gashes. It doesn't help that he's easy to beat in X-Men vs. Street Fighter.
- Angst? What Angst?: Just as in Left Behind, everyone seems to take the disappearance of all the children in stride.
- Idiot Plot: The eeeeevil Satanists are hilariously incompetent when it comes to chasing down the heroes.
- Just Here for Godzilla: Mr. T being in Judgment is all that we need.