YMMV Tropes in the Film AntiChrist:
- Adult Fear: It is expressed when She hears her son's cries, but is unable to find him for a time. It makes it worse when she does find Nic, only to find him not crying, so it just leaves She disturbed and obviously confused as to who is crying.
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: Even for a movie like this, the scene where a fox just randomly starts speaking, says "Chaos reigns" then leaves is really freaking weird. Seriously what was that about?
- Broken Base: Even those who liked Dogville are divided about Antichrist.
- Critical Backlash: Because your mileage may vary.
- Faux Symbolism: Many critics try really hard to read into the Christian symbols disseminated throughout the movie. This was arguably intentional on Trier's part, a way of peeling back the absurdity of finding meaning in a meaningless universe.
"But there's no such constellation!"
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- "Holy Shit!" Quotient: A rare Horror example, and starting right with the opening credits!
- Jerkass Woobie: He and She.
- Love It or Hate It: Very much so.
- Memetic Mutation: "Chaos reigns" has become a mild example.
- Nausea Fuel: She giving He an hand job. Doesn't sound so bad, you say? That's because we left out the part where She smashes his testicles with a brick, causing him to ejaculate blood. You can thank us later.
- She cutting off her genitals while having A Date with Rosie Palms at the same time.
- Narm: The weird moment in which a fox says "Chaos reigns", while creepy to some, may be hilarious for others.
- The entire opening sequence might be this for some, as well, thanks to it looking straight out of a pretentious art student film, complete with Deliberately Monochrome, slow motion, and opera music.
- True Art Is Incomprehensible
- Watch It for the Meme: If it weren't for that clip of the talking fox, many people wouldn't even know this movie existed. If you need proof, count how many times it's mentioned on this page alone.