YMMV: Alex Cross
- Complete Monster: The sadistic "Picasso" is an assassin who was hired to eliminate Giles Mercier and his associates Fan Yau Lee and Erich Nunemacher who hired him? . After being invited to Fan Yau's house, he proceeds to sedate her with a paralyzing drug. Afterwards, he murders all of her bodyguards and tortures her to death by cutting off all of her fingers. He later goes after Nunemacher, but fails to kill him due to Alex Cross and his partners Monica and Tommy interfering. As punishment for their interference, Picasso breaks into Monica's apartment and tortures her to death, shortly before sending a photo of her body to Cross's cell phone. Picasso then makes it personal by murdering Maria, Cross's pregnant wife, and later calls him after her funeral, telling Cross that the only reason why he killed her instead of him was so he could make him suffer. Picasso then goes after Giles Mercier, attacking his convoy with a rocket and killing several police officers, along with Nunemacher and Mercier's double. During Picasso's final confrontation with Cross, Picasso subdues Cross and attempts to inject him with the same paralyzing drug as well.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: Tommy jokes shortly after finding Fan Yau's safe that he'd want Cross to be wrong at least once. What are Cross' first words to Tommy after his wife is killed?
Alex Cross: (tearfully) "I got it wrong, man..."
- He Really Can Act:
- Matthew Fox shows some real impressive acting chops as Picasso.
- Likewise, Tyler Perry is pretty impressive in the dramatic moments.
- Narm: The tagline "Don't Cross Alex Cross" is a rather laughable use of the character's name.
- Nausea Fuel: Picasso's first victim had all her fingers cut off and she could feel it all without reacting.
- One-Scene Wonder: Giancarlo Esposito's (Breaking Bad and Revolution) quick scene as Daramus Holiday, the uncle of a teenager about to be convicted for murder.
- Squick: Alex using the first victim's severed thumb to open her safe.
- Tear Jerker: Alex's wife getting killed by Picasso and especially the scene where he tries to comfort his daughter over her mother's death, relating it to his own father's death, which makes it even sadder.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Character: Some viewers were upset that Monica Ashe was killed off and then forgotten about, mostly since she was the film's only Action Girl who was portrayed by a relatively good actress and had an ongoing subplot with Tommy.
- WTH, Casting Agency?: Many people raised an eye brow when it was announced that Tyler Perry would be playing Alex Cross, though some critics did praise his acting.