- Cult Classic: And due to its late-night energy, it works perfectly as a midnight movie.
- Jerkass Woobie: Paul. While he goes off a couple of times during the movie, he is just desiring to go home or at least spend the night someplace safe, which is exactly what The Big Rotten Apple and its midnight Kafka Komedy showcase is denying him. By the end of the film, he is even fearing he will be lynched by angry [SoHo] natives for reasons he can barely understand.
- Older Than They Think: In addition to the Kafka references, a great deal of material from the first twenty minutes was taken to some degree from Joe Frank's radio monologue "Lies". Frank sued, but apparently admired the direction Joseph Minion took his ideas.
The Web Original
- Alternative Character Interpretation: Pretty much the premise behind all of the segments, and lampshaded in the Aladdin one.
Michael: Do you guys ever think that maybe we think about movies more than the people who made the movies?
- Creator Backlash: It's implied in the "23 Jokes That Never Made It Into Our Best Videos" video that the creators of After Hours are getting sick of making it.
- Draco in Leather Pants: Invoked: if a character being discussed is supposed to be villainous or malevolent, the group will usually find some way of making them seem like the real hero of the story.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The Katie-Michael romance/sex references. They disappear midway through the 1st season and their characters move in a more balanced direction as opposed to the 1-dimensional Slap-Slap-Kiss dynamic the characters had with one another early on.
- Ho Yay: The boys can be very... friendly with each other.
Michael: Before there was the Joker, a weird looking dude with face scars had to go into a store all like "Green hair spray and lipstick please".
- According to the real Daniel O'Brien the characters of Soren and Dan are "accidently falling in love".
- From the Secretly Most Ridicules Moments episode.
Katie: And a nurse uniform and wig, you know, just in case.
Soren: I've got one.
Michael: A wig or a nurse's uniform? Because I'd like to see you in either.
- In the James Bond episode Soren and Katie are starring deeply into each other's eyes, clearly about to kiss, when Michael ruins it by trying to make out with Soren. It's Katie who pushes him away.
- In the Christmas episode Michael drinks hot coco but spits it out.
Michael: Thanks, you too. We should sex later. *Points at Soren* Us too.
Michael: Let's see some boobs.
- From the same episode.
Katie: Michael, I'm not showing you my boobs again.
Michael: Not you! *first points at Soren but changes his mind to Dan* Dan show me boobs or I will concuss right now.
Dan: Okay. Which one do you want?
Michael: Either one.
Dan: That's...that. *shows left nipple*
Michael immediately regrets asking, but Katie makes a "not bad" face, and Soren tries to look uninterested but leans over and stretches his neck a bit to get a better look.
Michael: What about Beauty and The Beast? It taught us not to judge a book but it's hairy, ill-tempered cover. *pets Dan's chin, with Dan stretching his neck a bit and smiling*
- From the 4 Worst Lessons Disney Taught Us episode.
Michael: Did I win already!? I'm in his head! Soren, check him for boners!
- In the Pixar episode Dan gets lost in his thoughts, which gets Michael exited.
Dan: I had you guys though.
- Also from the Pixar episode.
Michael: I'm still totally cocked buddy!
Katie: *looks at Michael's crotch* Ohh my god, he is.
Dan: Thanks man.
Michael: I had no idea my overt sexuality bothered you so much.
- In the "6 insane stereotypes" episode Dan is mysteriously wearing a hoodie Soren wore in an earlier episode. Soren Bowie later explained on tumblr that (the character) Dan was cold and forgot his jacket, so Soren took off his hoodie and let Dan wear it. This has apparently happened more than once.
- In the Genie episode Daniel absentmindedly puts a finger in his food and starts "fingering" it in an oddly sexual way, then waves it around until he notices the food stuck to him, and finally licks his finger. Michael and Katie don't care, but Soren watches the whole thing very intensely.
- In "Why Star Wars is racist" Daniel complains that nobody cares about the robots in Star Wars. Soren isn't paying attention to the conversation and thinks Daniel is talking about himself, so somewhat offhandedly he says "Don't be silly, Daniel. I cares." Both Michael and Katie act like that is kind of a big thing for Soren to say, but Daniel seems to think Soren was talking about the robots and continues rambling on about Star Wars. Michael and Katie look at each other like they can't believe nothing more came of it.
- From the "Friends" episode.
Daniel: How!? My last column was about that!
Michael: I'm Handsy McSackgrab!? LIBEL!
- In "Why Movie Cops Are Terrible" Daniel wants to know which Se7en victim Soren thinks he is. He ends up guessing Soren thinks he Pride because she's pretty. In other words, Daniel thinks Soren thinks he's pretty.
- Les Yay: Katie Willert: Vagina Whisperer.
- No Yay: Played for Laughs.
Dan: It's a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah.
- Ron the Death Eater: Invoked: if a character they are discussing is supposed to be seen as the hero or otherwise benevolent, the group will usually find some way of making them seem like the bad guy.