YMMV: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
- Tear Jerker: Countless examples, some of which include
- Johnny's death.
- The scene where Joanna is stoned by the jealous women and her baby winds up being hurt by it.
- The scene where the children win a Christmas tree, and Johnny helps them bring it up the stairs and leads the entire building in a round of "O Holy Night".
- The moment where Francie realizes that Lee has been playing her.
- The scene where Francie and her mother reconcile as her mother is giving birth, especially when Francie reads her mother an essay she wrote about Johnny after he died.
- Francie's graduation, when she discovers flowers Johnny gave Sissy the money for before he died.
- Values Dissonance: The "balloon" incident sounds embarrassing but funny today, but disgraced the Nolans to the point that they had to leave the neighborhood. Smith's original manuscript had Katie and Johnny being denounced from the pulpit by a priest who lost all his siblings to malnutrition but the publisher didn't want to alienate Catholic readers.