* CrazyAwesome: Angus the Mauler. [[spoiler:''"ELEPHAAAANTS!"'']]
* CreepyAwesome: Fearghus Campbell
* DesignatedHero: For all their bravery, the Scots are still capable of some seriously dickish behavior. The very first city they took was ''allied'' to them.
* HeartwarmingInHindsight: When he returns to Scotland, Alexander Canmore wonders if his descendants will take the throne. [[spoiler:The story ends with his grandson Kirk becoming ruler of the Scottish Empire.]].
* HilariousInHindsight: The name of the last stubborn leader of the Egyptian faction? [[UsefulNotes/TheArabSpring Mubarak.]]
* HolyShitQuotient: The Timurids bring nine thousand troops into Scotland, totally dwarfing any army that could be assembled against them. [[spoiler: Except the '''fifteen thousand''' Scots waiting for them.]]
* MagnificentBastard: Aodh Canmore, ''full stop.'' Pick one of his plots, ''any'' of his plots. From [[spoiler: destroying the Moors while Domnall is incapacitated]] to [[spoiler: convincing Domnall to attack the Danes]] to [[spoiler: convincing Hungary to invade and sack ''Rome'' and then retaking Rome and talking the Pope into surrendering control over all the Papal lands to Scotland]] to [[spoiler: the entire false DownerEnding that leads to the simultaneous assassination of the entire Timurid leadership]], Aodh Canmore is someone you do ''not'' want to try to out-fox.
** Fearghus Campbell and his successors in the Scottish Spy Network also serve as these. Even after two full generations of new Spymasters have replaced him, people all over the world still get the creeps when his name is mentioned.
** Gille Calline the Balleol deserves a mention too.
* MemeticBadass: Angus the Mauler. A Danish commander is perfectly sure that they can put up a good fight against the Scots... and then learns who their general is.
** Fearghus Campbell, the first of Scotland's spymasters, is still feared despite being dead.
* MoralEventHorizon: Likable the protagonists may be, several of the Scotsman and their enemies perform acts that go well beyond dickish, into truly appalling crimes, though given the GreyAndGrayMorality and ProtagonistCentredMorality on all sides, what constitutes the horizon will depend on the reader.
** [[spoiler: Cassandra being miffed at being cast aside as Adam's mistress is understandable. Trying to goad and threaten Robert the Younger into not only [[WouldHurtAChild killing his nephew and Adam's newborn son]], but [[RapeIsASpecialKindOfEvil rape and murder Adam's wife]] for ignoring her, isn't.]]
** [[spoiler: Aodh forges documents framing Denmark for causing the excommunication of Scotland, incensing Domnall enough to start a war with Denmark. He does this because he felt that the new found peace was weakening Domnall and making him lose respect amongst his people. For the record, this act leads to an unmitigated, one sided genocide of the Danish people, and he did it because he felt his King was getting soft without a war to fight.]]
** [[spoiler: Domnall's decision to engage the Danes as above, [[ThereIsNoKillLikeOverkill and perform a genocide in the name of revenge]] can be seen as one. There is a ''very'' good reason he goes from being [[EmbarrassingNickname Domnall the Lewd]] to [[TheDreaded Domnall the Merciless]].]]