- Adaptation Displacement: Not many people know that the movie is based off of a play written by Sorkin himself — even when it's stated during the early credits.
- Alternative Character Interpretation: Some people take Jessup's courtroom rant as a Take That towards the kind of limousine liberals (who would never dream of joining the military themselves) who sit back and criticize armed might and the use of violence against while living their lives under the guard of those same people who they disdain. This really only works out of context, as Jessup is just as much of a hypocrite as they are.
- Ho Yay: Kaffee and Ross. They seem to know each other pretty well and there's the whole scene with the former sucking on his doughnut-dust-covered finger while the latter stares him down. And then some of the final lines:
Ross: Strong witnesses.Kaffee: And handsome too, didn't you think?
- It Was His Sled: Colonel Jessup ordered the hazing that led to Santiago's death.
- Memetic Mutation: "You fucking people..."
- YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!
- Misaimed Fandom: The number of viewers who admire Jessup's Motive Rant is staggering. Sure, he's meant to have depth and isn't a Card-Carrying Villain, but when he implies that marines shouldn't be accountable to the law, you're not supposed to agree with him. Part of the problem is that the film doesn't include Kaffee's rebuttal from the play where he points out exactly what he's saying.
- Narm: Kaffee has a tendency to explosively swear at people out of nowhere when slighted.
Kaffee: Cutie-pie shit will not win you points with me. I get paid no matter how much time you spend in jail.
Dawson: (derisively) Yes, sir. I know you do, sir.
Kaffee: "FUCK YOU HAROLD!!!!"
Ross: You got bullied into that courtroom by the memory of a dead lawyer.
Kaffee: "YOU'RE A LOUSY FUCKING SOFTBALL PLAYER JACK!!!!" (Bonus points for having no bearing on the conversation whatsoever.)
- One-Scene Wonder: Colonel Jessup only appears in a few scenes, but he makes the most of each of them.
- Retroactive Recognition:
- Signature Scene: "You can't handle the truth!"
- Strawman Has a Point: Many viewers see Jessup's "you need me on that wall" argument as true.