YMMV: A Beautiful Mind
- Award Snub: Many felt Russell Crowe should have won the Academy Award for Best Actor. Then again, he had won the year before, and Denzel Washington had been passed over a few times already...
- Family-Unfriendly Aesop: Very deliberately averted. The real Nash never started taking medication for his psychosis again, but towards the end of the film Nash makes a reference to taking "the newer medications". Ron Howard didn't want to send the message that someone with severe mental illness ought to simply learn to put up with it, or attempt to overcome it through sheer willpower.
- Harsher in Hindsight: John and Alicia were both killed in a car accident fourteen years after the film was made while he was coming home from winning the Abel Prize, adding a rather sour grace note to the uplifting ending of his winning the Nobel Prize. It can also make the hallucinated car chase pretty hard to watch.
- It Was His Sled: Aside from the Trope Namer, this may be the most spoiled movie ever made.
- The fact Nash was a paranoid schizophrenic was part of the trailers, but the surprise is discovering certain characters to be imaginary.
- The Woobie: John Nash. In Real Life he was more of a Jerkass Woobie, and in the film he certainly has his moments.