was a popular professional wrestler
during the 1990s, having wrestled in the WWF
as Razor Ramon and (more famously) in WCW
under his real name as one of The Outsiders (alongside real-life friend Kevin Nash
). The Outsiders, together with Hulk Hogan
, formed the ultimate wrestling supergroup in the New World Order
in 1996. After WCW's demise, he had brief runs in both WWE (as part of the reborn nWo) and TNA
(with fellow Kliq
members Nash and Sean "X-Pac" Waltman).
Hall's career accomplishments and fame/infamy as a performer are offset, however, by his numerous personal demons; he is an infamous abuser of alcohol and drugs, to the point where WWE (who offers to pay for rehab for any current or former contracted employee) has spent more to send Hall to rehab than on any other performer. These off-screen issues — which were infamously turned into a part of Hall's on-screen character in his last runs in WCW — transformed one of the industry's most promising performers into one of its most tragic figures.
Things are looking up for Scott, though — in February 2013, he sought help from Diamond Dallas Page
, who previously worked miracles for the likes of Jake Roberts
, and as of May 2013, has been sober since. Thanks to Indiegogo, he underwent hip surgery in April 2013
and is well on the way to getting a new lease on life.
You can learn about Scott Hall
at The Other Wiki.
Tropes Associated with Scott Hall include:
- Alliterative Name: As Razor Ramon.
- The Alcoholic: So very much.
- He even missed Shawn Michaels's Hall of Fame induction because he knew it would throw him Off the Wagon.
- Which STILL HAPPENED during that weekend when he worked an independent show in Boston.
- Bash Brothers/Vitriolic Best Buds: With Kevin Nash.
- Catch Phrase: "Hey Yo!"
- Carpet of Virility: One of the few more modern examples of a wrestler with one.
- Early Installment Weirdness: His run in the American Wrestling Association, years before achieving fame in the WWF. He sported a curly mullet, a large mustache, and bulked up to 300 pounds (which he attributed to steroids).
- Even the Guys Want Him: One storyline with Goldust.
- Expy Razor Ramon was a pretty obvious one of Tony Montana from Scarface.
- The funniest part, is that he showed up for his (then) WWF audition, and was explicitly doing a Scarface impression to show he can "do characters". Vince McMahon, having literally never seen or been fully aware of the movie, thought Scott was doing an original concept. A bit of tweaking and name-brainstorming, and Razor Ramon was born.
- Fake Nationality: As Razor Ramon, he was billed from Cuba. He's not.
- Finishing Move: The Razor's Edge/Outsider's Edge, a crucifix powerbomb.
- Gratuitous Spanish: Tended towards this as Razor Ramon.
- Heterosexual Life Partners: He and Kevin Nash, for over twenty years.
- I Was Quite a Looker: Compare the image for this page with the one linked to in the caption. Fifteen years makes a difference, but for most people it doesn't make that much of one. His various addictions has had hand in this.
- Oral Fixation Fixation: Used to chew on a toothpick during his promos.
- His alcoholism could be a part of his oral fixation.
- Parts Unknown (as The Diamond Studd): "The Diamond Mine"
- Perma Stubble
- Poirot Speak: As Razor Ramon.
- Power Stable: Was a part of the New World Order.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: His battle with alcoholism was written into an angle in WCW. And it was not at all funny or professional.
- Red Baron: "Da Bad Guy", for Razor Ramon.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- Underwear of Power
- Verbal Tic: While as Razor Ramon, and sometimes during WCW, he tended to end most of his sentences with either "chico" or "mang". Just check out this promo for an example
- Wacky Fratboy Hijinx: Hall, as part of the Outsiders with Kevin Nash, and in the nWo, was one of the pioneers of this in wrestling.