Joe's gonna kill you!Samoa Joe
(real name: Nuufolau Joel Seanoa) is currently one of the top-tier wrestlers in TNA
and before that, in Ring of Honor
. He is notable for subverting the Wild Samoan
stereotype by being a submission expert and for being one of the few well-known wrestlers of Polynesian ancestry (he was born in the United States) not to have any ties to the Anoa'i wrestling family.
You can learn more about him at The Other Wiki
"The Samoan Troping Machine":
- Aborted Arc: His Put on a Bus moment below was a lead-in for Immortal's coming (his Blood Knight character after coming back seemed a lot like that of the eventual messenger of Immortal, Abyss, plus Joe was the first to proclaim that "They have spoken", "They" eventually being Immortal). However, people cheered whenever he assaulted somebody so the bookers killed the angle.
- Acrofatic: Unlike many large wrestlers, this is legitimate rather than an Informed Attribute. He's faster and more agile than you'd ever expect of a guy with his build.
- Anti-Hero: Type III
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Heel or face.
- Badass: Samoa Joe was the first wrestler to hold the TNA tag team belts by himself.
- The Big Guy: Face.
- Blood Knight
- The Brute: Heel.
- Characterization Marches On: Samoa Joe used to have an undefined but obviously apparent code of honor, most notably in Ring Of Honor. Since he has been in TNA though he has displayed everything but a sense of honor, excepting the brief period during his Nation Of Violence gimmick which turned out to be empty words when he joined the main event mafia.
- Demoted to Extra: Joe's been one of the biggest draws through most of TNA's existence. Once Hulk Hogan came in, it didn't take long for Joe to get pushed down the card.
- Expy: Of Mitsuharu Misawa, which is one reason Japanese fans don't love him, they've seen him before.
- His chokehold finisher, the towel he carries with him and the "Joe is gonna kill you!" chants are all straight out of Taz.
- Finishing Move: The (Coquina) Clutch, The Muscle Buster. On the independent circuit he had the island driver (second rope power slam) and chimera suplex (german suplex, dragon suplex, straight jacket suplex in succession).
- Genius Bruiser
- Genre Savvy: Before the onset of his Badass Decay, Joe was known for casually walking out of the way of his opponents' attempts at high-flying, leaving them to splat on the mat.
- Good Is Not Nice: Even as a face he comes off as a surly jerk at times.
- Hired Guns: In Ring Of Honor Christopher Daniels hired Samoa Joe to take out Low Ki, but the two quickly became friends.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door
- I Am the Noun: "My name is Samoa Joe, I am pro wrestling."
- Lightning Bruiser
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: During an IWA Mid-South match, Joe legitimately beat the absolute shit out of Necro Butcher in retaliation for Necro Butcher beating up a rookie wrestler named Anthony Franco on a CHIKARA card.
- Noodle Incident: What happened to Joe while he was in ninja captivity?
- Odd Friendship: Samoa Joe is friends with John Cena, John's Catch Phrase, "The Champ is here?" was also once part of Joe's entrance song (and Muhammad Ali was before both of them).
- Not so odd: Joe was one of Cena's trainers in UPW in California.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: Though he doesn't do the stereotypical " Samoan Savage" gimmick.
- Put in a Van: He was kidnapped by ninjas on a live TNA program and stuffed into the back of a van. He wasn't heard from for several weeks, and for most of that time no mention of the incident was made. He finally appeared in a short video clip and proclaimed "They have spoken." He returned on the following Impact! as a surprise entrant into an eight-man tag match, and in subsequent weeks went on to randomly attack and destroy both faces and heels in the ring. The details of who took him, why, and what they did to him haven't been revealed.
- As this was immediately before Abyss began proclaiming that "They have spoken", it's suspected that Joe's kidnapping was to have something to do with Immortal. The reasons why he ultimately was not involved haven't been revealed either.
- Red Baron: "The Samoan Submission Machine".
- The Rival: AJ Styles and Kurt Angle.
- Scarf of Asskicking: Well, actually a towel but still.
- Shout Out: The Muscle Buster, a clear homage to Kinnikuman.
- Joe's theme almost always starts with the opening notes of the Godzilla theme (or an arranged version of so in TNA).
- Signature Move: Running back elbow in the turnbuckle then leg lariat or CSC Enziguri. Also the face wash. Also an elevated STO Out of the corner which is referred to by Tazz as a "uranage".
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Him and CM Punk, apparently he's a lover of various women on CM Punk's furniture.
- What Could Have Been: In his third book, Mick Foley said he tried to get both Samoa Joe and CM Punk hired by the WWE. For whatever reason, only Punk was hired.
- Wild Samoan: Played with in his "Nation of Violence" gimmick. But mostly averted, as he is quite well spoken in and out of the ring.