TV Tropes Needs Your Help
View Kickstarter Project
Big things are happening on TV Tropes! New admins, new designs, fewer ads, mobile versions, beta testing opportunities, thematic discovery engine, fun trope tools and toys, and much more - Learn how to help here
and discuss here
Wrestling: Sami Zayn
aka: El Generico
(b. 1984) is a Canadian Professional Wrestler
best known for his work for Ring of Honor
and other promotions as El Generico.
He debuted in 2002 in International Wrestling Syndicate in his native Quebec and made his American debut in CZW
in 2004, and has competed for Pro Wrestling Guerilla
, Dragon Gate
, Dramatic Dream Team
(two dark matches in 2011) and many other promotions around the world since. He is currently in WWE NXT
as Sami Zayn,
where he is the reigning NXT champion. Among his in-ring achievements, he is a former 2x PWG World Heavyweight Champion
, a former 5x PWG World Tag Team Champion
, a former ROH World Tag Team Champion
, and a former ROH World Television Champion
. In 2010, The Wrestling Observer Newsletter
named his ROH feud with Kevin Steen "Feud of the Year."
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
"Los Tropes Genericos":
- Always Someone Better: As Sami Zayn, it's Adrian Neville, who Zayn just can't beat for the championship. Zayn's abysmal track record concerning important matches and a flippant insult by Neville did such a number on his psyche that he declared that if he can't beat Neville for the championship at Takeover 3, he'll quit the company. Zayn finally beat Neville for the NXT Championship at the event
- As El Generico: Kevin Steen
- As Sami Zayn: Cesaro, Bo Dallas, and Tyson Kidd.
- Kevin Steen has reared his head again now in NXT.
- Badass Beard
- Badass Cape
- Bash Brothers: with Kevin Steen until Steen betrays him with malice.
- Beware the Nice Ones: As Zayn, he's a consummate face for promos: polite, humble and charming. Treat him wrongly, though, and he'll deliver a thorough beating in the ring.
- Big Damn Heroes: He, Kevin Steen and Delirious came out together to save Tyler Black from Jimmy Jacobs's thugs and bring the Age Of The Fall to an end.
- The Cape: While Generico's the one with the mask and cape attire, Zayn embodies the spirit of the trope just as well if not better.
- Cool Mask: As El Generico. Averted as Sami Zayn.
- Cultured Badass: Zayn seems to be playing to this trope early on.
- Dance Battler: During the Osirian Portal (Amasis/Ophidian/Escorpion Egipcio) vs. Team PWG (El Genrico/The Young Bucks [Matt and Nick Jackson]) match at CHIKARA King of Trios 2009 Night I, he rolled out of Amasis' sunset flip attempt and started dancing, and was good enough that Amasis backed away from him.
- Darker and Edgier: Late in his 2010 feud with Kevin Steen, Steen stole his mask after a brutal double chains tag team match. When Generico returned to action, he had ditched his signature black and red attire for a stark black and white look, lost much of his playful antics and showed an uncharacteristic violence and aggression in the ring, even against opponents with no connection to his war with Steen. He would eventually gain his old mask and attitude back months later after exiling Steen from Ring of Honor.
- Eccentric Mentor: Colt Cabana decided to mentor him on how to defeat Kevin Steen and Steve Corino
- Establishing Character Moment: His first night as Sami Zayn in NXT, he defeated both Curt Hawkins and Antonio Cesaro about 10 minutes apart from each other.
- Every Month (or Two) He Fizzles Out: Has unfortunately become part of his character arc lately in NXT, after repeated attempts (and repeated failures) to win the NXT Title...
- Finishing Move: "Brainbustaaaaahhhhh!!!!!"(Super Brainbuster onto the turnbuckle and sometimes on the Apron; more so as Generico); Helluva Kick (Big Boot in the corner), Koji Clutch
- Foreign Exchange Student: Billed this way in Dragon Gate.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: They mask it through an alternate pronunciation, but one of his finishers in NXT is called the Helluva Kick, which looks like it should be (And in fact, has been on occaision) pronounced 'Hell Of A Kick'.
- I Have Many Names: He has also wrestled as Stevie McFly.
- I Have the High Ground: He won CHIKARA's 2011 Rey de Voladoresnote Tournament.
- It Is Pronounced Tro PAY: One of his finishers in NXT, the "Helluva Kick", is prounounced "Heh-LU-Vah"
- Juxtaposed Halves Shot: He and Kevin Steen in promotional posters for ROH Final Battle 2012
- A tongue-in-cheek version. Even in shoot interviews will wrestlers (jokingly) refer to El Generico as Mexican.
- Many insist on the idea that Zayn and Generico are two different people. Most of all being Kevin Steen, who claims that El Generico was found dead in a ditch in Mexico.
- Morality Pet: For Kevin Steen. Or not. This is true in both ROH and NXT.
- Omniglot: Speaks at least three languages: English, French, and Arabic. The last was taken advantage of especially during WWE's Middle Eastern tour to the point of featuring Zayn in many of the tour's promotional packages.
- One of Us: A big fan of comic books, particularly Archie Comics.
- Parts Unknown: "Tijuana, Canada" as El Generico. Averted as Zami Zayn, where he's billed from Montreal.
- Put on a Bus: While it's joked that Generico left to take care of the orphans in Mexico, he really jumped to WWE.
- Power Stable: Tozawa-juku, in Dragon Gate
- Real Song Theme Tune: "Ole!" by the Bouncing Souls
- Red Baron: "The Generic Luchador"
- Rule of Cool: He and Samuray Del Sol were put in the main event of Evolve 14 despite both having losing records. Why? Because why let losses get in the way of cool?
- Signature Move: Zayn's Helluva Kick was this back when Generico called it the Ole! Kick.
- Tag Team: (in PWG):
- Cape Fear, with Quicksilver
- ¡Peligro Abejas!, with Paul London
- 2 Skinny Black Guys, with Human Tornado
- Back where it all started in IWS, Team Photosynthesis with Beef Wellington.
- Versus Title: EVOLVE 14: Generico vs. del Sol, EVOLVE 15: Generico vs del Sol II, EVOLVE 17: Generico vs. del Sol III. Rule of cool indeed.
- The Voiceless: In Ring Of Honor
- We Used to Be Friends: With Kevin Steen, as they teamed for years going back to their IWS days. It remains to be seen what (if any) effect this prior history will have now that Steen has joined NXT.
- and with Steen's debut at Takover 3, it's clear it's still this big time.
- Worthy Opponent: While Cesaro entered NXT ArRIVAL seeing Zayn as a nuisance, by the end of the match they had become this.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: And if he does, he'll immediately regret it, even if its retaliation to a prior strike, such as Christina Von Eerie smacking him for trying to call out Low Ki at Evolve.