Giving the "I Love You" sign to the fans right before his famous leap off the top of the cage onto Don Muraco at Madison Square Garden, October 17, 1983.James William "Jimmy" Reiher
(born May 18, 1943) is a semi-retired Fijian professional wrestler and actor, better known by his ring name Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka
. Originally from Fiji
, Snuka wrestled for several promotions in the 1970s and 1980s. Snuka was the first NWA ECW Heavyweight Champion
and held the title on two occasions. He is best known for his time in the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) in the early to mid-1980s and is credited with introducing the high-flyer style of wrestling to the WWF. His children Jimmy Reiher, Jr. (Deuce of Deuce N Domino) and Sarona Reiher (Tamina Snuka
) are also wrestlers. He has competed for WWE
, various National Wrestling Alliance
territories, the AWA
, All Japan Pro Wrestling
, New Japan Pro Wrestling
, Juggalo Championship Wrestling
, and MANY, MANY independents and other promotions around the world.The Other Wiki
has a good writeup about his career.
Not to be confused with Super Fly
"Brudda, these are tropes associated with the Superfly, brudda!":
- Arch-Enemy: Don Muraco, "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, Jesse "The Body" Ventura (in the Pacific Northwest Wrestling promotion in Portland)
- Autobiography: Superfly: The Jimmy Snuka Story
- Badass Grandpa
- Bash Brothers: Had several tag team partners of note throughout his career, most notable probably being future enemy "Mr Wonderful" Paul Orndorff whom he held the NWA Tag Team Titles with in the late 70s, and the infamous Bruiser Brody with whom he won the 1981 All Japan World Tag League, one of the most prestigious wrestling tournaments in the world.
- Death from Above: The Superfly Splash - especially considering that, for a guy that used a top-rope move as a finisher, Snuka was not a small guy.
- Does Not Like Shoes: In Real Life as well
- Legacy Character: Has several currently in WWE - not only his daughter, Tamina, but the The Usos, who are the sons of Rikishi but actually look and wrestle a lot more like Snuka.
- Noble Savage
- Power Stable:
- Rogers' Army in Mid-Atlantic, led by Buddy Rogers, who was replaced by Gene Anderson, who renamed it Anderson's Army.
- Hot Stuff International in ECW, led by Eddie Gilbert, which was renamed the Dangerous Alliance after Paul E. Dangerously joined forces with Gilbert.
- Devastation Inc. in USA Pro.
- Red Baron: "Super-Super-Superfly"
- Ring Oldies: 70 and still wrestling.
- Tag Team: Several, as noted above with Paul Orndorff and Bruiser Brody, but also with Fabulous Freebird Terry Gordy, and Ray Stevens.
- Unrelated Brothers: Bookers in the states would often bill Sivi Afi with some kind of relation to him.
- Wild Samoan
- Wrestling Family: His son and daughter are wrestlers as well. Afa, the patriarch of the Samoan wrestling family, counts the Snukas as members of the family as well.