Nathan Everhart (born September 28, 1988) is an American professional wrestler and former amateur wrestler who is signed to WWE, where he performs under the ring name Jason Jordan.had signed with WWE's developmental system in July 2011, and found moderate success as one-half of the penultimate FCW Florida Tag Team Champions with CJ Parker before the titles were deactivated upon the switch from FCW to NXT. However, he struggled to gain any momentum under the revamped system for several years. In July 2015, fortunes changed whe formed the tag team American Alpha with Chad Gable, with the duo capturing the NXT Tag Team Championships before being drafted to SmackDown and winning the SmackDown Tag Team Championship. In 2017, American Alpha disbanded after Jordan debuted on the Raw brand as the (kayfabe) son of Raw General Manager Kurt Angle.You can read an extensive article on his career on his page over at That Other Wiki.
Tropes associated with Jason Jordan:
- Alliterative Name: Jason Jordan.
- Arch-Enemy: The Miz.
- Captain Ersatz: American Alpha appeared to be a two-man love letter to Kurt Angle, and Jordan represented the matured Angle of the Ruthless Aggression Era—the intense badass wrestling machine who's come to own just how good he is and is capable of going on nigh-unstoppable tears. Bonus points for American Alpha also carrying similarities to a certain team of former Angle protégés, covered below.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: A former amateur wrestler, Jordan can throw full grown men around like paperweights.
- Composite Character:
- American Alpha were seemingly composites of Kurt Angle and one of his former understudies, and in Jordan's case, as a black athletic prototypical wrestler, he hearkens back to Shelton Benjamin, but his moveset and intensity is more reminiscent of Ruthless Aggression Era Angle. He also has the legitimate amateur wrestling background to match both men as well. And in kayfabe, Jordan is revealed to be Angle's illegitimate son, making all this similarities even more striking. These similarities were Lampshaded in one promo where Jordan almost called himself and Gable "The World's Greatest Tag Team" before Gable cut him off and asked him to stop, presumably out of respect for the original team.
- Outside the Angle-related comparisons, Jordan's strength, intensity, athletic prowess, and suplexing aptitude can evoke memories of Scott Steiner during his time in The Steiner Brothers before he became Big Poppa Pump. American Alpha even did their own version of the Steinerizer (an elevated diving bulldog) for a while, called Tech Fall.
- Heel–Face Turn: Yes, Jordan worked alongside Gable as heels early on. However, fans loved them too much to boo them, and so they became cemented as faces through their gutsy performance in defeat against Baron Corbin and Rhyno in the semi-finals of the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic tournament.
- Lightning Bruiser: The 245-pound (in billed weight) Jordan has a beautiful dropkick and incredible quickness in the ring.
- Lovable Jock: Essentially his gimmick in American Alpha as faces, particularly during their NXT run (characterization for tag teams tends to be more well-formed on NXT). They're very athletic and very confident in their athletic ability, but they also wrestle a skilled, clean match and come off as all-around nice guys.
- Manly Tears: The emotional resonance of the moment Jordan became NXT Tag Team Champions with Gable in Dallas was palpable, as both (especially Jordan) found themselves on the verge of breaking down. Their amateur wrestling careers had ended in disappointment (Everhart never managed to win the NCAA national championship ); and Jordan, despite his athletic raw talent, had spent years toiling away in WWE's farm system with only two weeks as a Florida tag team champion to show for it prior to his team with Gable. To finally find themselves crowned as champions on a major stage with every fan in the arena supporting them, you can imagine why they were overwhelmed.
- Replacement Goldfish: Having ditched former tag partner Tye Dillinger, Jordan began a story line where he teamed with various WWE Superstars in an attempt to find a better tag partner. He eventually found one in Gable.
- Salt and Pepper: As part of American Alpha, Jordan has a more hot-headed personality, while Gable is more efficient, joyful, and relaxed.
- Took a Level in Badass: Teaming with Gable turned out to be the breakthrough Jordan needed, as they instantly started winning and dominating opponents, with Jordan breaking out more of his amateur wrestling background. Completed at TakeOver: Dallas, where they beat The Revival for the NXT Tag Team Championship.