Raymond M. Lloyd
(b. 1964) is an American martial artist, actor and professional wrestler
from Brunswick, GA best known for his time in WCW as Glacier
from 1996-1998. His gimmick
was based on the character Sub-Zero from the Mortal Kombat
series of video games as part of an angle called Blood Runs Cold. The angle is considered to be a flop, and has even been labeled a Big-Lipped Alligator Moment
, as it did not really fit in with everything else that was going on in WCW at the time. He started his in-ring career as "Ray Lloyd" in the late 1980s and was a TV Jobber
for WCW against such opponents as the Great Muta and the Skyscrapers (Sid Vicious
and Dan Spivey
). He also competed in the Japanese shoot-style promotion UWFi. He has also competed for CHIKARA
, Pro-Wrestling ZERO-ONE, Dusty Rhodes
' Turnbuckle Championship Wrestling and for several other independents, particularly in the Florida and Georgia areas. He is a 1x NWA World Tag Team Champion
with Jason Sugarman.
As usual, the basics about his career can be found at The Other Wiki
and you can read about his acting career at IMDB
Tropes Run Cold:
- Arch-Enemy: Mortis
- Awesome, but Impractical: His incredible entrance cost nearly half a million dollars to put together, including $35,000 on the faux-armor he wore to the ring alone.
- Badass Family: In Real Life. His father, mother and twin brother all worked in law enforcement.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Rarely spoke in WCW, potentially due to the fact that his heavy Southern accent would clash with his gimmick.
- Big "YES!": Received one when CHIKARA's Director of Fun Leonard F. Chikarason drew his name to be Los Ice Creams' teammate at CHIKARA King of Trios 2008, Night 2, March 1, 2008, for the match against Los Luchadores de Mexico (Incognito, El Pantera and Lince Dorado.) See the Heartwarming page.
- Black Best Friend: Ernest "The Cat" Miller. Justified, as Miller was also a martial artist and, in fact, Glacier's ONLY friend in WCW.
- Captain Ersatz: For Sub-Zero.
- Cool Helmet: The feud with Mortis centered in part around a helmet Glacier had (kayfabe) won in a martial arts tournament.
- Cool Teacher: One of his trainees is Cody Rhodes.
- Dark Is Evil: Switched to a blue and black motif instead of a blue and white one after his heel turn.
- Defeating the Undefeatable: Had a long undefeated streak in 1996-1997. He lost a few singles matches in late 1997, though the BIG ONE was when Goldberg beat him.
- Demoted to Extra: His push fell apart after Blood Runs Cold ended in late 1997.
- Evil Mentor: As "Coach" Buzz Stern to Luther Biggs, briefly in WCW in 1999.
- Finishing Move: The Cryonic Kick (superkick), Ice Pick (Thumb to the throat)
- Genius Bruiser: Has a master's degree in education.
- I Know Karate: And Judo too.
- The Jannetty: To a degree to Ernest "The Cat" Miller. While Miller never won a title in pro wrestling, he got the chance to display a lot more personality first as a heel then as a face and was WCW Commissioner and even got a run with WWE.
- Jerk Jock: During his very brief (about a month long) stint as Coach Buzz Stern.
- Parts Unknown: "The Shorinji Temple, Fukuoka, Japan." While Fukuoka, Japan is a real place, there is no Shorinji Temple there.
- Real Song Theme Tune: (in CHIKARA): Darude's "Sandstorm"
- Ring Oldies: Will turn 49 this year and still working indy shows.
- Small Name, Big Ego: In-universe: During his final WCW run, he claimed he was a hero and would smile and shake hands and congratulate other faces and do everything except actually get in the ring and wrestle.
- What Happened to the Mouse?:
- That prized helmet of Glacier's that Mortis, Wrath and Vandenburg stole? Forgotten about halfway through the angle.