(b. 1984) is a Canadian Professional Wrestler
best known for his work for Ring of Honor
and other promotions as El Generico.
He debuted in 2002 in International Wrestling Syndicate in his native Quebec and made his American debut in CZW
in 2004, and has competed for Pro Wrestling Guerilla
, Dragon Gate
, Dramatic Dream Team
(two dark matches in 2011) and many other promotions around the world since. He is currently in WWE NXT
as Sami Zayn.
Among his in-ring achievements, he is a former 2x PWG World Heavyweight Champion
, a former 5x PWG World Tag Team Champion
, a former ROH World Tag Team Champion
, and a former ROH World Television Champion
. In 2010, The Wrestling Observer Newsletter
named his ROH feud with Kevin Steen "Feud of the Year."
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
"Los Tropes Genericos":
- Arch-Enemy: Kevin Steen, Antonio Cesaro and Bo Dallas.
- Badass Beard
- Badass Cape
- Bash Brothers: with Kevin Steen
- Beware the Nice Ones: As Zayn, he's a consummate face for promos, polite, humble and charming, but treat him wrongly and he delivers a thorough beating in the ring.
- Cool Mask: As El Generico. Averted as Sami Zayn.
- Cultured Badass: Zayn seems to be playing to this trope early on.
- Dance Battler: During the Osirian Portal (Amasis/Ophidian/Escorpion Egipcio) vs. Team PWG (El Genrico/The Young Bucks [Matt and Nick Jackson]) match at CHIKARA King of Trios 2009 Night I, he rolled out of Amasis' sunset flip attempt and started dancing, and was good enough that Amasis backed away from him.
- Darker and Edgier: Late in his 2010 feud with Kevin Steen, Steen stole his mask after a brutal double chains tag team match. When Generico returned to action, he had ditched his signature black and red attire for a stark black and white look, lost much of his playful antics and showed an uncharacteristic violence and aggression in the ring, even against opponents with no connection to his war with Steen. He would eventually gain his old mask and attitude back months later after exiling Steen from Ring of Honor.
- Finishing Move: "Brainbustaaaaahhhhh!!!!!", Heluva Kick (Big Boot in the corner )
- Foreign Exchange Student: Billed this way in Dragon Gate.
- I Have Many Names: He has also wrestled as Stevie McFly.
- I Have the High Ground: He won CHIKARA's 2011 Rey de Voladoresnote Tournament.
- Kayfabe: A tongue-in-cheek version. Even in shoot interviews will wrestlers (jokingly) refer to him as Mexican.
- Many insist on the idea that Zayn and Generico are two different people. Most of all being Kevin Steen, who claims that El Generico was found dead in a ditch in Mexico.
- Morality Pet: For Kevin Steen
- Omniglot: Speaks at least three languages: English, French, and Arabic.
- Parts Unknown: "Tijuana, Canada"
- Put on a Bus: While it's joked that Generico left to take care of the orphans in Mexico, he really jumped to WWE.
- Power Stable: Tozawa-juku, in Dragon Gate
- Real Song Theme Tune: "Ole!" by the Bouncing Souls
- Red Baron: "The Generic Luchador"
- Tag Team: (in PWG):
- Cape Fear, with Quicksilver
- ¡Peligro Abejas!, with Paul London
- 2 Skinny Black Guys, with Human Tornado
- The Voiceless: In Ring Of Honor
- We Used to Be Friends: With Kevin Steen, as they teamed for years going back to their IWS days.