The poor meme-ridden "comedy" website Uncyclopedia is the stuff of internet legend and infamy. The site which originated in 1860 is now a multi-national effort and is viewed as best the best of its kind by some. Uncyclopedia currently specializes in tedious mockery of perceived competitors and petty in-fighting, with much of the content viewed as mass-produced junk, however there remains a peculiar fondness for some of its articles by fanatics. The site has however been viewed as a waste of server space by its host the evil Wikia Empire. The Other Wiki
. No, the other
Other Wiki.Affectionate Parody
that would like to be to wikis what The Onion
is to newspapers. It advertises itself as the "content-free encyclopedia".
Uncyclopedia can be found both here
, as the site executed a fork in January 2013, meaning that two versions of the site are now active. The "good" articles (so judged by Uncyclopedia users) are listed both here
The site's guidelines and rules are written in a truthful and non-satirical, but still humorous tone, the best example of which is "How To Be Funny and Not Just Stupid
International editions are notorious for sometimes creating new puns for their titles
("discyclopedia"), the French version, has a pair of dice ("dés" in French) as logo, the Norwegian version is called Ikkepedia
("notpedia"), the Russian version is Absurdopedia
, the Finnish version is Hikipedia
("sweatpedia"), the Spanish version is Inciclopedia note
the and the Danish version is called "Spademanns Leksikon
", a pun between respected Danish encyclopedia Lademanns Leksikon and "spade", Danish slang for "retard". In the Mandarin version, the name is still transliterated from Wikipedia, but the first word used here also means "fake". Necyclopaedia
, the Latin version
, simply transposes the first two letters of "encyclopaedia"note
to form the Latin word ne
, "not." The Italian version is called Nonciclopedia
, basically the same pun as the original one. The Japanese version is called Ansaikuropedia
, from the katakana rendering of Uncyclopedia and is notorious for such bashing of seiyuu
that in some occasions surpasses that of Encyclopedia Dramatica
. The Hebrew version is called "Eincylopedia
". The prefix "ein" means literally "there isn't", so the translation of the full name would be something like "there's-no-cyclopedia" or "Nocyclopedia".
Let it be noted that we listed them before they listed us
Compare Rational Wiki
and Encyclopedia Dramatica.
- Author Existence Failure (invoked): "HowTo:Cut Your Own Head Off With a Chainsaw"
- Awesome but Impractical: Just about every weapon here.
- Bishōnen: They have their own car company!
- Berserk Button: The site's page for Encyclopedia Dramatica shows a great amount of seething hatred, which is reciprocated in full on ED.
- Bigger Than Jesus: Things Bigger Than Jesus, But Smaller Than The Beatles.
- Bilingual Bonus: The full name given for Idiocrates is "έναν μικρό εγκέφαλο αλλά ένα μεγάλο πέος", which translates to "A small brain but a big penis."
- Blood Sport: Water Polo... With Sharks!
- Born in an Elevator / Instant Birth, Just Add Water: "HowTo: Deliver A Baby"
- Captain Obvious: "Captain Obvious"
- Cluster F-Bomb: This article analyses a grammatically correct sentence consisting entirely of variations on the word "fuck", in the same vein as "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo".
- Confusing Multiple Negatives: "Double negative"
- Conspiracy Theorist: "Jaws did WTC"
- Crossover Ship: Plenty, usually for comedic effect. The strangest one involves Cheetor and Haru.
- Cute Kittens: ...Let's huff 'em!
- Deadpan Snarker: Articles frequently show a biting, snide wit.
- Draco in Leather Pants: To Adolf Hitler of all people.
- Equippable Ally: the List of Weapons That Don't Exist, But Should lists an item called the Bulemic Zombie Gun, which is a zombie with Super Spit used as a gun.
- It also has a category called "Animal Launchers", which fire living creatures; from Fat kids to Elephants to genetically-engineered man-animal hybrids.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Encyclopedia Dramatica makes these guys look like frickin' boy scouts.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Hardly and barely.
- Finger Gun: Handgun
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampires: "'No More Room In Hell' Act"
- Hypocritical Humor: Hypocrites (with a hard 'e', as in a fictional Greek philosopher).
- The Hyena: "Hyena", which one narrates.
- Impossibly Cool Weapon: List of weapons that don't exist, but should contains a lot of them.
- Interactive Fiction: All of the games here.
- Jerkass: Most of the users.
- Just for Pun: Running Gag of the site.
- Long Title (every page here.)
- Moe: Moe. The Heävy Mëtal Ümlaut is significant.
- "Not Making This Up" Disclaimer: Inciclopedia's quotes for Manuel Rosales.
- The Nothing After Death: You Are Dead.
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: Most of the admins.
- Oscar Wilde: Uncyclopedia's unofficial mascot.
- Overly-Long Scream: AAAAAAAAA!
- Parodic Table of the Elements: The Idiotic Table, the Canadian Periodic Table, and the Occasional Table.
- Public Medium Ignorance: You know the Vocaloids? Japan was actually stealing from the Greek, and they'd prefer you wouldn't know that.
- Pun: On Inciclopedia's country page: "Those who don't know their country's hymn are called 'hymnorant'. Haha."
- Rule of Fun: Pretty much runs the place.
- Rule of Funny
- Russian Reversal: "CCCP World Fair"
- Schmuck Bait: Do NOT click any links!
- Self-Demonstrating Article:
- Self-Deprecation/Take That, Audience!: It's very often declared in the articles that anyone reading or writing Uncyclopedia must be a morbidly obese male virgin and a tragic waste of skin that the world would be better off without. Among the index "Things you will never have" are brains, common sense, a girlfriend, happiness, hope, intelligence, knowledge, popularity, sex, a sense of proportion, success or talent.
- Self-Referential Humor (every page here.)
- Sequelitis: "Fire Hydrant 2: Rehydrated"
- Serious Business: I don't appreciate your attitude towards my potato chip situation
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: "Assassins from the future"
- Shaggy Dog Story: "Fire Hydrant" and "The O. Henry Collection"
- Shaped Like Itself: categories The category "Recursive categories", which contains only one category: "Recursive categories". This was based on a silly category that someone else did on The Other Wiki.
- Stalker with a Crush: Martina Hingis
- Strawman Political: Things do not get much more left-wing than this.
- Super Cop / Waif-Fu: "Amanda Steele, Action Cop"
- Take That: The majority of the wiki. There are literally hundreds (if not thousands) of pages with jabs at President Bush, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
- Dear God, if you had a dime for every Take That Uncyclopedia ever made, you might be the richest person on the planet!
- Of course, rivals like Encyclopedia Dramatica don't get a pass, either.
- Every single article on Malaysia apparently written by an angry Indonesian. A very angry Indonesian. With a good sense of humor.
- They even have a rather amusing one towards TV Tropes;
- The Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer: "The defense rests, your honor"
- Toilet Humour: I maed a yuky doody
- TV Tropes Wiki: Why, hello there. Notable among Uncyclopedia entries for being ... well, pretty much accurate and truthful. Also notable for being featured on the front page on 30 July.
- Unreliable Narrator: quite a lot of pages. See this category.
- Wiki Magic: Fisher Price: A Retrospective is a critique of a single line of vandalism.
- A Wizard Did It: Wow! It's magical or something!
- Written Sound Effect: "These are things with names that would look totally awesome as comic sound effects."
- Wrongfully Attributed: Oscar Wilde says a lot of things.
- Yin-Yang Clash: What happens when Memetic Badasses Mr. T and Chuck Norris fight? The collision of their fists creates the Big Bang.