Regular visitors here won't need to read the introduction.
If you're not a regular here, TV Tropes is a wiki documenting, in a fairly informal manner, the various conventions of fiction.
Of course, like any sizeable work, we've collected our own fair share of tropes
Tropes in TV Tropes:
- Accentuate the Negative: Darth Wiki.
- Anthropomorphic Personification/Moe Anthropomorphism - Trope-tan
- Artifact Title: It started with TV (Buffy the Vampire Slayer in particular). Nowadays it encompasses all media.
- Beige Prose: The Laconic Wiki.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall/Leaning on the Fourth Wall:
- An editor of the site will often introduce themselves as "This Troper". This is frowned upon for examples.
- There are a handful of articles that make a point of addressing the reader directly, such as Big Brother Is Watching You.
- Darker and Edgier/Dark World: Darth Wiki is where all the negative opinions go to. And a couple of other dark stuff.
- Drinking Game: We have one.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Some of our trope titles. These are listed in the Index of Exact Trope Titles.
- Hive Mind: A conscious goal. (See also Edit Tip #1.)
- Hurricane of Puns:
- Lampshade Hanging: For pages about tropes, there will a folder section for TV Tropes, lampshading how TV Tropes uses the trope explained on the page in some fashion. Very meta. Even more meta is the logo.
- Lampshade Wearing: The logo wears one over the second "t", unless it's changed for a holiday.
- Law Of Wiki Expansion: Just check all the items on Not A Trope that aren't tropes and still get pages here.
- Lawyer-Friendly Cameo: In the Badge Shop. A TARDIS? Ha ha, no, it's just a regular police box, silly.
- Lighter and Softer: Sugar Wiki, where all the positive opinions go to.
- Major General Song: The page on the topic itself counts as a partial one. Anyone want to write a full-length version for the site?
- Medium Awareness: References to how the site is a wiki are constantly referenced.
- Mind Screw: At least half the entries in Wild Mass Guessing.
- Obvious Rule Patch: The admin notes on BFG and BFS say not to write "Big Fucking Gun" anywhere in the article. After some Rules Lawyer put "Big Freaking Gun" instead, a second line was added saying, "Obvious Rule Patch: Or 'Big Freaking Gun'. Or 'Frigging'. Or any other such expansion of the acronym."
- Overused Running Gag: I Am Not Making This Up and So Yeah were so overused that the wiki said "Enough is enough!" and purged all mention of them from the wiki, deleting and perma-locking their pages.
- Post Modern: Plenty of examples. Since the site is a catalog of devices used in fiction, the whole site is this.
- Punny Name: Quite a few article titles.
- Running Gag: Several, most commonly "TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life".
- Schmuck Bait: Think very carefully before clicking on an external link. Especially on the Rickroll or Ear Worm articles.
- Seen It All: Read the site enough and take it too seriously and you may become this.
- Self-Demonstrating Article: A whole index of them.
- Theme Naming: Our trope naming organizations, SPOON, FoRKS, KNIVES, and PLATTER, were all named after kitchen utensils.
- Thrown Down A Well: The Permanent Red Link Club.
- TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life: Trope Namer.
- Visual Pun: Some of the images for our trope articles are this.
- Wiki Walk: It's a wiki, what else would you expect?