Why Did It Have To Be Snakes: Webcomics
Snakes (ophidiophobia), Reptiles (herpetophobia)
- Toshubi in Blade of Toshubi hates snakes! Although considering the size difference, who can blame him?
- The Barbarian character in Weregeek added it to his background. Why Did It Have To Be Snakes? Because a DM ALWAYS uses the character's background against them.
- PvP's Jade hates toads.
- Kiran from Chirault.
- In Freefall, Florence is afraid of hornets, and terrified by the Mayor as a side effect of canine pack dynamics.
- Eastwood of Exterminatus Now is cripplingly arachnophobic. And it first comes up in an arc where they fight some massive spiders.
- Parodied by Axe Cop. Axe Cop is terrified of talking gorillas. They are his greatest fear.
- Two from Death to the Extremist is afraid of ponies.
- O-Chul from The Order of the Stick may or may not be afraid of sharks (galeophobia) after events in the comic, but he says the line of the trope almost verbatim.
O-Chul: Sharks. Why did it have to be sharks.
- Commander Badass from Manly Guys Doing Manly Things hates millipedes. This comes from doing a term of duty on the millipede planet, where everything was covered, filled with, or spawning millipedes.
- Trees (dendrophobia) — Durkon from The Order of the Stick. This seems to be a racial thing.
- In Scandinavia and the World, Denmark is afraid of nature itself, everything from butterflies to waterfalls. Curiously enough, he's just fine with domestic animals. And the sea, to the surprise of Norway and Sweden here.
- Thog from The Order of the Stick is defeated by an illusion of a female orc. Haley takes offense that his fear of "pretty girls" doesn't seem to extend to those of other species.
- Bob of Bob and George is spectacularly phobic of Pokémon. For no adequately explained reason. We'll state this again: a character with fire superpowers who intermittently seeks to conquer anything he doesn't destroy is terrified of Rattata.
- Hats: Trel from Cwen's Quest has either violent fits of terror or near psychotic reactions to hats due to childhood trauma.
- Xenophobia: Insecticomics Dreadmoon. Due to the humorous nature of the comic it's more a strong disgust than outright fear; in Wayward's more serious fanfiction he's uncomfortable around non-Cybertronians and outright terrified of organics.
- Katia of Prequel is deathly scared of nobility, including having a nightmare of Uriel Septim as a Humanoid Abomination (while in-universe he's the Big Good) and being rendered speechless at the sight of Martin Septim (at that time merely a priest in Kvatch).
- In Sequential Art, the squirrel girls (except Scarlet) are agoraphobes. To prevent their escapes.
- Riff from Sluggy Freelance is afraid of orphans, and won't go near an orphanage without a missile launcher handy.
- Riff also will end up in Torg's arms if somebody mentions the DMV.
- PeeJee in Something*Positive has been shown to have an almost pathological fear of puppets.
- In Squid Row, Randie is deathly afraid of garden gnomes.
- Connie of Waterworks is germophobic, and tends to freak out around toilets.
- Varden of Inverloch is petrified of magic and goes all sweaty and bug-eyed whenever he sees it (or when it's used on him). Neirenn, the group mage, takes advantage of this whenever they're arguing over something.