Wham Line: Newspaper Comics
- Candorville was once a mostly realistic strip with the occasional Big Lipped Alligator Moment. Its transition into a darker, more unnerving brand of humor can be traced back to the first time Lemont and Saxon are alone together, when Saxon's mask of sanity begins to slip. Two lines cemented the change, and every subsequent plot arc can be traced back to them: "The vampire, Roxanne, is not my lover. She's my mother." Of course, this was aided somewhat by Saxon's suddenly developing Milky White Eyes and fangs.
- Funky Winkerbean: "That's because I was the one sending those texts to you."
- For Better or for Worse: "I have fallen in love...but it's not with a girl."
- When Elly is informed after getting back from vacation that Kourtney has been fired in her absence.
- Pogo: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."
- From Drabble:
Norman: I never thought to ask you, Echo, what are you doing at this wedding?Norma/Echo: Oh, I'm related to the bride.Norman: What a coincidence. I'm also related to the bride.Cue simultaneous Oh Crap! looks.
- Retail: A challenge is declared. A plot to make a rival change jobs backfires horribly.
- Garfield: When Jon confronts◊ Liz on going out with another guy:
Liz's date: So, what a minute... you like this guy?
Liz: As a matter of fact, I do.
Jon: That's right! She does! ...You do?