Western Animation: ToddWorld
"It's a wonderful, colorful world!"ToddWorld
was an animated children's series that aired for two seasons on Discovery Kids. Based loosely on a series of popular picture books by Todd Parr, each installment of the series focused on adventures in the daily lives of the main character, Todd, his talking dog Benny and his friends Pickle, Sophie and Stella, as well as a fairly large cast of guest characters. The series focused on celebrating the uniqueness of each individual— for example, the main character enjoyed wearing underwear on his head and eating macaroni and cheese in the bathtub. Other lessons including celebrating friendship and willingness to try new things. The program was notable for its theme song, "It's a Colorful World," performed by the celebrated R&B singer Smokey Robinson, as well as nominations for both the Daytime Emmys and the Humanitas Prize.
The series can currently be seen on Qubo
in the United States and is also available to many library users through a streaming service called Hoopla Digital. The show's name is officially spelled in CamelCase
. Which, yes, requires extra formatting to display properly on this wiki, but it's important to be correct.
ToddWorld includes examples of the following:
- Amazing Technicolor Population & Wildlife: The show's theme song is titled "It's a Colorful World," and it certainly is. The main character, Todd, is blue, two of the other main characters are yellow, and another is green. This certainly extends to the wildlife as well— Todd's talking dog, Benny, is red, yellow, blue and green in various parts.
- An Aesop: Each story is focused on teaching one of some sort— most have some sort of social message.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Todd welcomes the viewers with "Hi, I'm Todd and this is my world" at the beginning of each story. He then summarizes what happened at the end and signs off with "See you next time. Love, Todd," but other than that, he and the other characters don't talk to the viewers.
- Civilized Animal: Todd's dog Benny and Sophie's cat Mitzi generally act as this.
- Edutainment Show: Of the pro-social messages type.
- Fantastic Flora: "Garden Variety Pickle" featured the kids in the main cast and Todd's dog Benny making an abandoned lot into a garden. They planted things such as glitter flowers, a flower that could eat rocks and a tree with several different types of dog biscuits. None of these, however, were the focus of the story. This instead, went to a small scraggly weed with no unusual properties that Pickle was caring for because he found it beautiful, the story having An Aesop about respecting how different things are beautiful to different people.
- Fantasy Helmet Enforcement: For biking, skateboarding, or any other such activity. This extends to Benny, Todd's talking dog, as well.
- Four-Fingered Hands: All of the human characters have these.
- Interspecies Adoption: In one episode, Todd and his friends try to help a lost platypus named Pedro find his mother. They all think that Pedro's mother is a platypus like him, but at the end, they find out that she's actually a kangaroo. We also learn that Pedro has a pig for a little brother. In the same episode, Todd sees a frog in a family of ducks.
- There's also a cat named Mitzi that adopts a group of puppies.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: Todd's dog, Benny, meets a dog named Sam and they play together in the mud, so he never really gets a good look at her. When they meet later, Benny is shocked she's a girl— "Sam" is short for Samantha. He thinks that he can't play with a girl, but learns differently. "Benny has a new friend now. Girls make great friends and so do boys!"
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Though there are only a few main characters, the number of guest characters is enormous, as seen in the page image.