The Ugly Duckling and Me is a 2006 Danish movie (made in English) that tells the story of a rat, Ratso, who gets saddled with a very ugly duckling who thinks Ratso is his 'mama'. Ratso plans to exhibit Ugly (as everyone starts calling the duckling) as a sideshow freak, thus a portion of the movie deals with their journey to the carnival where Ratso's cousin Ernie works, with all sorts of bumps along the way.
This film contains examples of:
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Bemoaned by Ugly when Ratso starts provoking him to conclude that he's become a teenager.
- Feather Fingers: Gets a bit silly after a while...
- Great Escape: Ratso's escape from the duckyard.
- Informed Ugliness: Just about everything and everyone reacts this way to Ugly.
- My God, You Are Serious: Jessie's reaction to Ugly's amazing 'dancing'.
- Never Trust a Trailer: The trailer made it appear that Ugly was being exhibited as the world's ugliest duckling right from the start (and as more of a routine thing than in the film). Not the case in the movie.
- Rule of Funny: Probably the only reason why a cat can be a rat's cousin.
- Shout-Out: To both Aliens and Titanic (1997). Someone on-staff must've been a James Cameron fan.
- Showdown at High Noon: Ratso prepares for one of these when he goes to rescue Ugly.