The Ugly Duckling and Me is a 2006 Danish movie (made in English) that tells the story of a rat, Ratso, who gets saddled with a very ugly duckling who thinks Ratso is his 'mama'. Ratso plans to exhibit Ugly (as everyone starts calling the duckling) as a sideshow freak, thus a portion of the movie deals with their journey to the carnival where Ratso's cousin Ernie works, with all sorts of bumps along the way. It eventually got an animated series which narrates the events after the first film.
This film contains examples of:
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Bemoaned by Ugly when Ratso starts provoking him to conclude that he's become a teenager.
- Big "NO!": Ratso is rather fond of these, particularly in the animated series, in which he lets out one each time something goes terribly wrong.
- Cats Are Mean: Subverted with Ernie.
- Feather Fingers: Gets a bit silly after a while...
- Great Escape: Ratso's escape from the duckyard.
- Informed Ugliness: Just about everything and everyone reacts this way to Ugly.
- My God, You Are Serious: Jessie's reaction to Ugly's amazing 'dancing'.
- Never Trust a Trailer: The trailer made it appear that Ugly was being exhibited as the world's ugliest duckling right from the start (and as more of a routine thing than in the film). Not the case in the movie.
- Rule of Funny: Probably the only reason why a cat can be a rat's cousin.
- Shout-Out: To both Aliens and Titanic (1997). Someone on-staff must've been a James Cameron fan.
- Showdown at High Noon: Ratso prepares for one of these when he goes to rescue Ugly.