Western Animation: The Twins of Destiny
The Twins of Destiny (Les Jumeaux du Bout du Monde) is a French animated series. It lasted for 52 episodes, running from 1991 to 1992.Two children, a Caucasian girl and a Chinese boy, are both born in Peking at the same moment on the same day in 1895, and are prophesied to be the downfall of the tyrannical Dowager Empress. To protect them from the Empress, they are smuggled out of China by the first mate of a French sailing ship, and adopted and raised by the ship's captain. When they are twelve years old, the prophecy catches up with them, and they must travel to China and fulfil their destiny.
This series provides examples of:
- Brother-Sister Team
- Death by Childbirth: Both of the twins' mothers.
- Eunuchs Are Evil: A lot of the Dowager Empress's mooks are eunuchs.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: The Dowager Empress
- Historical-Domain Character: The Dowager Empress, technically, in as much as China was indeed ruled by a Dowager Empress at that point in history. She wasn't a tyrannical sorceress, though.
- Historical Fantasy
- Theme Twin Naming: Jules and Julie
- Magicians Are Wizards: The Great Sebatier
- Taken for Granite: Both of the twins' fathers are turned to stone by the Dowager Empress.
- Wonder Twin Powers