The Snorks was a 1980s cartoon, originally developed by Freddy Monnickendam and produced by Hanna-Barbera. The first two seasons aired on NBC, the last two were syndicated. The show was about the Snorks, who live in a village under the sea and have snorkel-like appendages on their heads instead of noses. The Snorks were forbidden to ever leave their undersea village because those in power didn't want them to be found by humanity. So, Once an Episode, the heroes of the show had to leave the village for the greater good. And they always got away with it, despite the punishment for leaving being steep....at least, that was the gist of Season 1. The later seasons focused more on how the Snorks interacted with each other. Things really changed once the show hit syndication; new characters were introduced, and the old ones either had their personality tweaked or were ousted altogether.It's a little like The Smurfs but underwater — and the characters have their own individual appearances. They do their smurfing in pretty much the same way (All's well that snorks well!).
- Absent-Minded Professor: Dr. Strangesnork, who can forget his name at times.
- Beware the Nice Ones: In the episode "In Junior's Image", a mirror-image duplicate of Junior is brought into the Snorks' world. He appears to be the opposite of Junior with regard to personality, but near the end of the episode it turns out he's not only even more of a Jerk Ass than Junior, but he turns into a 12-foot-tall clawed abomination, which is all the more disturbing because his face didn't change at all.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome / Demoted to Extra: Dimmy vanished without explanation after season 2 when his voice actor left to pursue other projects. He would later appear as a silent background character.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The Blowfish project, sending the Blowfish device above the surface, is presented as similar to launching a rocket into space.
- Everybody Must Get Stoned: The episode "Reefberry Madness", where the Snorks eat reefberries laced with silly powder and start acting silly.
- Follow the Leader: To The Smurfs
- Steampunk: Not in aesthetic, but all their technology apparently ran on it.
- Swallowed Whole: In one episode, the Snorks are swallowed up by a giant Snork Eater that plays hypnotic music that lures its prey toward it. They manage to escape by blowing a giant bubble inside it while Tooter duels musically with the Snork Eater.
- The Unintelligible: Tooter speaks in the form of "tooting" various sound effects. He can also talk to animals.
- One episode had a character named Tadah who only spoke in the form of "tooting". The only word she could say was "y'all".