Western Animation / The Smoggies
is a Canadian cartoon produced by CINAR and known in the United States as Stop the Smoggies
. The Smoggies are a trio of treasure hunters with no regards for the environment. Their pollution is stopped by the Suntots, a people dwelling at Coral Island.
The Smoggies are:Emma
: The cruel and bossy leader of the Smoggies. Vain and superficial, her main goal in life is obtaining the Magic Coral of Youth, which she believes to be the source of the Suntots' everlasting youth. This coral doesn't actually exist, but Emma refuses to believe it.Clarence
: Emma's long-suffering husband and the captain of the Stinky Poo
, the ship where the Smoggies reside. He's generally good-natured but an incompetent inventor.Polluto
: Clarence's large, oafish crewman.
List of tropes in The Smoggies
- Failure Is the Only Option: Especially when your main objective doesn't exist...
- Green Aesop: The Suntots use all-natural energy sources, while the Smoggies do nothing but pollute. A lot of plots revolve around preserving nature, and the Smoggies desire to destroy it or otherwise pollute.
- Happily Married: Clarence and Emma are very much this, despite Emma's overbearing attitude.
- Henpecked Husband: Poor Clarence, being married to an egomaniac diva like Emma is doomed to this.
- Humans Are Bastards: The Suntots certainly have reason to think so, given everything the Smoggies have put them through.
- I Gave My Word: When the Smoggies decided to leave Coral Island, they needed to replenish their ship's oil supply and their only hope was extracting oil from Coral Island. As part of a deal between them and the Suntots, the Smoggies could extract oil from Coral Island on the proviso they didn't take any oil from the tarbog's pit. When Emma wanted to break the deal, her usually Henpecked Husband invoked this trope.
- Loophole Abuse: Clarence might have given his word he'd not extract oil from the tarbog's pit, but Emma pointed out she didn't give hers.
- Manchild: Polluto is a Kindhearted Simpleton with an endearing childishness about him.
- Minion with an F in Evil:
- Polluto. He only harasses the "Sunsquirts" when Emma tells him to. Left to his own devices he's friendly towards them.
- And Clarence, most of the time. The show in general has some of the weakest villains in the history of television, considering how pleasant and likeable two of the three are.
- Non-Human Sidekick: A rare villainous example, Polluto's pet bird Ralph.
- Obliviously Evil: Clarence and Polluto are classic examples, in that most of the damage they cause is a result of their trying to please Emma. Clarence is so devoted to her that he doesn't take into account the damage he's doing in indulging her, while Polluto simply does whatever the other Smoggies tell him to.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: The whole reason the Smoggies are there is to try and find the magic coral so that Emma can use it to maintain her youth and beauty. However, there was no magic coral. The Suntots stayed young and beautiful through living cleanly and taking care of their environment, but Emma did not want to believe that. Moreover, Clarence is already completely in love with Emma, and he'd likely remain so no matter what she looked like.
- Terrible Trio: The eponymous Smoggies, with Emma as the demanding leader and her co-dragons being the short genius Clarence and Dumb Muscle sidekick Polluto.
- Villain Song: The first verse of the theme song is sung by the Smoggies. Probably one of the most upbeat examples - you'd never think they are the villains unless you listened to the lyrics.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: The Suntots have a rainbow spectrum of possible hair colours. The Smoggies have more natural colours.