Western Animation: The Little Island
This one believes in truth; this one believes in beauty; this one believes in goodA 30-minute animated film directed by Richard Williams in 1958, exploring philosophy without dialogue through the conflicts of three men who visit a little island.Why so many spoiler tags? Well, let's just say this is a film that's full of surprises...
This short film provides examples of:
- Barbie Doll Anatomy
- Chekhov's Gun - The way Truth is dressed when he comes to the island. It's easy to miss.
- Comic Trio
- Fan Nickname - Since the three characters are nameless, they're sometimes referred to in reviews and analayses of the film as "Good", "Truth", and "Beauty" for the sake of convenience.
- The Fundamentalist: "Each of the three little men in this film has an idea .... BUT ONLY ONE"
- Implausible Fencing Powers/ Badass - Beauty jumps over a bazooka shell, shish-ka-bobs Good's minions in a single stab, then uses thier muskets as musical instruments. AWESOME.
- Mundane Made Awesome - Subverted in the climax with Truth and his chalkboard. At first you think it's playing this trope straight, but then the camera pans back, revealing... nope, not gonna spoil it.
- Naked People Are Funny
- One-Winged Angel - Beauty and Good in the climax. Also counts as a Shapeshifter Showdown, as they transform into different and more fearsome forms as they get angrier.
- Rocket Punch - How this is pulled off must be seen to be believed.
- The Straight Man - Truth
- Your Mind Makes It Real